30 Minute Baked Potato Soup: 30 minutes is all you need to get a creamy, comforting dinner on the table. This potato soup is one of the creamiest I have ever had, but yet it contains no butter and less cheese than most recipes call for. It is the perfect recipe for cold, busy nights!There are recipes that are near and dear to your heart. This Baked Potato Soup is one of them for me. Why has it taken so long for me to share it with you? I am not sure. It is simple, easy, but it hits the spot every time.
Many years ago, I spent a couple of days a week volunteering with some fabulous women at my church. We spent hours cutting out circles and counting popsicle sticks for the Preschool Ministry. And while we cut and counted away, we developed such close friendships. We worked away while we shared our parenting struggles, our frustrations, and our hearts. One of these precious friends was battling her 3rd round of cancer. And this soup, was her favorite. I remember all she wanted to eat was Potato Soup and rolls–that is all she could eat on many days. And many times I brought her this Potato Soup. It just a little way for me to help her fight her fight. Sadly, she lost her fight with cancer a few years later and whenever I make this soup (which is quite often, as my family LOVES it as well), I smile at her memory and say a prayer for her sweet children who miss her.This soup is so easy, I tend to think of it as humble. Just a bit of carrots, onions, chicken stock, milk and potatoes. I do add a secret ingredient (vinegar) that helps the potatoes stay creamy–not turn into mush. And then simmer away. Of course, the toppings are where it is at. We add cheese and bacon crumbles. This soup is so creamy, you don’t need to add cheese directly to the soup, just a nice little heap of shredded sharp cheddar at the end. Finished with some crispy bacon–and it is over the top!! Oh how I am craving this right now–even though I am writing it at 8 AM!!!
- 4 cups russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon carrots, diced into size of rice grains (I used a handheld chopper)
- 1 tablespoon onions, diced into size of rice grains
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- For serving: shredded sharp cheddar cheese and bacon (I use about 2 ounces shredded cheese and 4 strips cooked bacon)
- Place potatoes, chicken stock, vinegar, salt, carrots, and onions into large pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
- Whisk together the milk and flour.
- Remove soup from heat and whisk in milk mixture. Return to heat and turn heat to high and whisk and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until creamy and bubbly.
- Serve with shredded cheese and bacon crumbles as desired.