5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Pot Roast: Forget complicated meals! 5 ingredients is all it takes to get one of most comforting, delicious Pot Roast you have EVER had–one of the BEST dinners you have ever had!
In winter months, I am all about comfort. I want to sit down to dinner with my family and fill myself with a warming meal. Soups, stews, casseroles, etc. Truth be told, I really want to craw into a cave and sleep through winter. I really hate the cold! But since that is NOT an option, I want to eat foods that warm me from the inside out.
As you would expect from a mid-western raised girl, Pot Roast is one of my favorite dinners. My husband, who grew up raising cows for meat, also loves a good pot roast. However, we are both pretty picky when it comes to pot roasts. We have had our share of dried out meat and our share of ones with weird seasonings or one that is not seasoned at all. We like it simple, but full of flavor.
And this meal is almost TOO simple to share. 5 ingredients and as simple as dump and set it and forget it–well, 7 ingredients if you count salt and pepper. Sorry, that is kind of a given in every recipe. The other ingredients: potatoes, carrots, a chuck roast, beef broth and a jar of prepared horseradish. The horseradish is where the magic is at!! It is sharp and pairs perfectly with beef. It gives this meal so incredible flavor, you will be in awe of how easy it is to pull together.
If you gave me a choice of a Thai Salad or Pot Roast, I would choose a Thai Salad. If you asked me if I could be a vegetarian, I would say that I could if I had to. BUT if I walk into a room where my 5 Ingredient Pot Roast is cooking, I would be drooling uncontrollably. It smells heavenly and tastes like a bite of my childhood–specifically dinners spent with my cousins at my Papa’s house. It takes me down memory lane while nourishing my body. Not to mention it is a meal I can prepare with almost zero effort–gotta love that!
I just layer quartered carrots and quartered potatoes (at times I use baby carrots and small new potatoes as pictured above) into my slow-cooker. Place a chuck roast, or roast of your choice on top of the veggies, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and spread prepared horseradish over the roast, pour 2 cups of beef stock around the meat, and set it to forget it–well, you won’t be able to forget it if you are at home all day smelling it–oh my!!
And then with the magic of the slow-cooker–seriously, I feel like that is the most magical piece of kitchen equipment I own, a tender, out of this world dinner is ready. Ready to bless your family with, ready to bless your body with, ready to make memories like those made in my Papa’s kitchen.
- 2 pound chuck roast, trimmed of fat
- 3 pounds russet or yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- ½ cup prepared horseradish (not horseradish sauce!!)
- 2 cups beef stock
- Layer potatoes and carrots in slow cooker. Sprinkle with ½ tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Lay the roast in the middle of the vegetables and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Spread the horseradish evenly over the roast. Pour the beef broth around the meat (not over it, as that would wash away the horseradish).
- Cook on low 10-12 hours or high 5-6 hours.
A few notes:
- This recipe served my family 2 meals plus a few leftovers. We ate a small portion of beef and tons of vegetables–so good!
- We love to dip our veggies into sour cream–sounds crazy, but try it!
- Sometimes I will add 1/2 cup beer to this recipe which give it additional flavor. I like the added punch, but my family prefers it without the beer.
- Feel free to use a baby of baby carrots and small new potatoes in place of the quartered carrots and russets.
For this recipe I recommend:
Pictures have been updated from 1/25/2016
Featured on Meal Plan Monday.