If you are anything like me, you may be a bit obsessed with the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. If you aren’t, I personally think you are crazy!
Okay, just kidding! I still love you. And you can sub the peanut butter out of this shake for almond butter if you need to avoid peanuts, and almonds and chocolate are a pretty killer combination as well.
Personally, I crave rich, creamy chocolate shakes on a regular basis–especially in the warmer weather. However, I can not drink these rich indulgences once a week, or even once a month without feeling horribly sick. The amount of ice cream typically required to make a delicious shake, is enough dairy and sugar to make me feel horribly sick for days. Never mind, what it can do to a person’s waist line!!
Isn’t that sad? I have an obsession for ice cream and more often than not, I can only handle a little bit at a time–I guess God built in portion control for me 🙂
So, I have found a way to enjoy a true milkshake with no side effects for me. It is heaven!
Now, while this is much healthier than any traditional milk shake, it is still a dessert and should not be consumed everyday. However, in moderation indulge away with no guilt!! This is all natural and has much less sugar and fat than any milkshake you can buy or make at home. The frozen banana and Greek yogurt help to keep this shake thick without needing to add much ice cream.
- ¼ cup chocolate ice cream (look for a brand that has only cream, milk, sugar, cocoa as ingredients--Breyer's all natural is my favorite)
- 1 frozen banana, chopped in chunks
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
- *if you want a more chocolaty taste, add 1-2 tsp cocoa powder
- Place ingredients into blender and pulse several times until mixture comes together and is well combined. Enjoy!
Feel free to add a scoop of your favorite protein if you desire. I only use protein powder that it is 100% whey, so I stay away from added sugars and artificial ingredients.