Peppery arugula tossed with sweet watermelon, salty feta, and tangy pickled onions. Vibrant green arugula and bright red watermelon screams summer! This is a perfect light and healthy addition to any summer meal.
Wow! Doesn’t that picture of vibrant green arugula and bright red watermelon scream summer?!
And it screams flavor explosion in your mouth as well!!! This salad is an amazing compliment to any summer meal. I paired it the other night with seared steaks. I wanted something to cut the richness of the steak and to feel like an elegant side dish to the meal I had prepared my husband and myself for an in home date night (I highly recommend in home dates–set the table elegantly, get dressed up and pop a bottle of wine and celebrate each other without breaking the bank and enjoying healthy, wholesome, home cooked meals!!)
This salad delivered. The peppery arugula was cut by the sweetness of the watermelon. The saltiness that the feta added to the salad complimented the watermelon and the tang of the pickled onions gave a pop to this dish. And it was nearly as easy as throwing my steaks in the cast iron skillet.
So please try this salad, your taste buds will thank you!! Not to mention your body–so many healthy antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins are present in this salad.
- 5 oz arugula
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 3 cups diced watermelon
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- Start with pickling a sweet onion an hour before you want to eat the salad (I used a vidalia) Combine apple cider vinegar, sugar, and salt until the salt and vinegar dissolve. Add the sliced onion and allow the onion to sit at room temperature for an hour. (These pickled onions will last in your fridge for up to 2 weeks and are a great addition to any salad or to top a sandwich.)
- Toss arugula with the juice of 1 lemon, olive oil, a pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add the watermelon and feta cheese and toss into the salad gently.
- Use half of the pickled onions to top the salad.