A creative twist on traditional lasagna that features pre-made ravioli, spicy pepperoni, tangy marinara, and a creamy filling made with cottage cheese and fresh spinach, this ravioli lasagna comes together in minutes and will be your family’s new favorite way to enjoy pasta!
I am still in state of shock.
It seems like only yesterday I laid in a hospital bed for days and watched my husband consume homemade chocolate chip cookies (from the nurses he made friends with at Labor and Delivery class) and waited patiently for my son to arrive into this world, after being 9 days late and in induced labor for over 24 hours.
I think the nurses felt bad for us because I was in labor for so long without an epidural–so they showed it by bringing my husband food I could not eat!! Or at least, I tried to believe that when I felt like hurting them all as they stuffed their faces on gooey, warm cookies and my body ached with pain like I had never experienced.
But enough ranting, back to my son.
When Tate entered this world, I fell so head over heels in love my heart felt like it was going to burst. I could write story after story about how this sweet boy has enriched my life and taught me so much. But bottom line–I am blessed to be his mom!
And for his birthday, he typically chooses to have lasagna. Last year, he wanted be to make lasagna the night before we left for out of town for a week–hence my creation of the Easiest Lasagna Ever. But his preferred lasagna is hands down Baked Ravioli Lasagna.
And can you blame him? Tender cheese ravioli is swimming in homemade marinara, and layered with a seasoned spinach and cottage cheese and spicy pepperoni. And to boot, I make this lasagna in individual ramekins, so the dish has restaurant presentation, making my son feel like a King on his birthday.
Personally, I am elated that my son loves this dish so much. Not only is it so easy to put together, it is a cheese and pasta lover’s dream come true. Which I admit fully to being both.
So let’s fire up the ovens and whisk ourselves away to a little villa in Italy. I may even pour myself a glass of wine–I deserve it after 10 years of being a Mommy, right?!
- 1 16 ounce package fresh or frozen cheese ravioli
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup fresh spinach, diced
- 3 ounces nitrate free pepperoni (optional)
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- Parmesan cheese for serving.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together cottage cheese, egg, spices, and spinach. Set aside.
- Grease 4 8 ounce ramekins with olive oil. Add 1 tablespoon of marinara sauce and spread over bottom of dish. Place a layer of ravioli over the sauce, layering slightly to cover bottom of dish. Spread 2 tablespoons cottage cheese mixture over ravioli and then top with 3-4 slices of pepperoni. Top with an additional 2 tablespoons of marinara and repeat layers. Top with one final layer of ravioli and 1 tablespoon marinara sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for additional 10 minutes.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- To serve, loosen sides of lasagna by running a butter knife around the ramekin. Place a plate over the ramekin and flip out the lasagna.
- Sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese.
A few notes on substitutions:
- Feel free to make this in a 8 inch square pan instead of 4 ramekins.
- Want to make it meatless? Leave out the pepperoni (just don’t tell my son you did–he loves that pepperoni!)
- Don’t like spinach? Leave it out.
Now grab a fork and dig in!!