Berry Smoothie Bowl with Quinoa Brittle: Sweet berries, banana, and spinach are blended together with Greek yogurt and topped with toasted nuts, chia seeds, fresh berries and dried Goji berries, and the star of the show–Quinoa Brittle. This is one nutrient packed smoothie bowl!
I am all about smoothies. I have at least one variety a day, as they are a great way for me to pack healthy calories and nutrient dense foods into my diet. And I have yet to grow sick of them, because there are ENDLESS varieties. But lately, a new trend has caught my eye: Smoothie Bowls.
Um, not so sure I would like to drink my smoothie with a spoon in place of a straw. But closer look revealed that these smoothie bowls, were typically topped with all sorts of things that were just not possible to enjoy through a straw. And that made sense to me. It seemed sort of like yogurt topped with granola. And who doesn’t love some crunch in their yogurt?!
So I decided to try my hand at making my own smoothie bowl. And in the process, I stumbled upon genius. Quinoa Brittle!!
I was thinking through what I wanted to top my smoothie bowl with and of course came up with the usual–nuts, fresh fruit, dried fruit, etc. But then I decided to toast a bit of quinoa to add some texture and a bit more protein to my smoothie bowl. As the quinoa toasted, I thought it tasted a bit bland and did not want it to just be a healthy addition, but a flavor addition. So I poured a bit of maple syrup into my skillet with the toasted quinoa and a dash of salt. I let it bubble up for a minute and then transferred to a piece of wax paper to cool.
Oh my word!! It was a strike of genius. Not to brag, but it was salty, sweet, crunchy perfection. I could eat it all alone all day long……but, the smoothie bowl was calling for it!
So back to my Berry Smoothie Bowl.
I blended together frozen blueberries and strawberries, an over-ripe banana, Greek yogurt, some spinach and a splash of water (but juice would work too.) Once blended. I topped my bowl, with some freshly sliced strawberries, chopped pecans, dried Goji berries, chia seeds, and the rest of the my quinoa brittle (I ate a lot as it cooled–the stuff is addictive!)
This Smoothie Bowl has it all.
- Antioxidants–hello berries of all kind!
- Protein–from the quinoa and Greek yogurt
- Fiber–the fruit, chia seeds, and quinoa are loaded with fiber
- Healthy Fats–from the pecans and chia seeds
- Calcium–the spinach and yogurt
- Taste–from it all 🙂
Score for healthy. Double score for tasty.
- For the Quinoa Brittle:
- ½ cup dried quinoa
- dash of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- For the Smoothie Bowl:
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ cup water or juice
- 1 cup spinach
- For the Toppings:
- 4 tablespoons dried Goji berries
- 4 tablespoons quinoa brittle
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 8 strawberries, sliced
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- To make the Brittle:
- Over medium heat toast the quinoa, until it begins to pop and/or turn golden brown. Add in the syrup and salt and stir until syrup is bubbly. Spread onto wax paper and let set up for 10 minutes. Once set, break into crumbles.
- For the Smoothie Bowls: Blend berries, banana, yogurt, spinach and water together until smooth.
- Divide between 4 bowls and top with goji berries, brittle, fresh strawberries, nuts, and chia seeds--distributing evenly.