Black beans and sweet potatoes marry together to form a perfectly moist and flavorful “burger” that is topped with a mouth-watering Mango Guacamole. This is one burger that is meatless, gluten-free, grain-free, high in protein and fiber and DELICIOUS!
That makes me sound like I am NOT picky, but yet, I so AM when it comes to burgers. They need to be flavorful, moist, and the toppings are what makes the burger for me. That is why I top my chicken burger with slaw and make a special horseradish sauce for my classic beef burger. I don’t want to just have ketchup and mustard–I want a burger kicked up a bit.
And that is no different with my Black Bean Sweet Potato Burger. I top this grain-free, vegetarian burger with an mango guacamole. Because guac equals world peace to me. I mean how can you be angry, when you are eating chips and guacamole? Yep, you agree–NOT possible.
So this burger, is gonna be your new fav. We all know I am obsessed with pairing the heartiness of black beans with the sweetness of sweet potatoes (my personal favorite is Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos.) And then to amp it up with a guacamole that is rich and velvety from avocados, sweet from mango, and tangy from lime juice—GENIUS!!
I am all about a good bun on a burger, but trust me when I say, you DO NOT need a bun for this burger. It is a perfect solution for you gluten-free or low-carb friends. It is also perfect for you vegetarian or dairy free friends. Okay it is PERFECT for anyone who likes to eat 🙂
So get out your food processor and prepare yourself to fall in love, in love with a new sweet and savory “burger.”
Step One: Make the Mango Guacamole
Step Two: Combine 2 cups cooked or canned black beans with 1 large baked sweet potato, 1 egg, and some Mexican spices–they just get the flavor RIGHT south of the border!
Step Three: Form the burgers and pan fry or oven roast, or both. I wouldn’t grill these burgers as they are simply bonded together using an egg, not bread crumbs and they may easily fall through the grill grates until they have formed a nice crust.
Step Four: Top with the guacamole.
Step Five: Inhale.
Here is the recipe–book mark this one, it is worth saving forever!!
- Mango Guacamole:
- 1 large ripe mango, diced
- 2 large ripe avocados, diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and fully cooked until fork tender (microwave, boil or roast)
- 2 cups cooked or canned black beans
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Make the Mango Guacamole by combining the mango, avocados, onion, lime juice and salt together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the Burgers:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and a large oven safe frying pan that has been coated with the oil to medium-high on the stove.
- In a food processor combine all ingredients until smooth. Scoop out ⅓ cup mixture onto frying pan, allowing to cook for 3-4 minutes to set up before flipping carefully. Once flipped, cook burgers for 1-2 minutes longer on stove and place in oven to roast, for 10 minutes.
- Top with guacamole.