Black Forest Pancakes
Black Forest Pancakes
Well go ahead, kiss me. I have turned your average ho hum pancake into a delicous, decandent treat.
Shhh….these pancakes are actually quite healthy! They just TASTE decandent!
Black Forest Cakes are rich in chocolate and layered with a juicy cherry compote and high in calories and fat.
These pancakes are also rich in chocolate and smoothered in cherry compote but low on fat and calories and high on protein and whole grains!
But the best thing to celebrate is chocolate for breakfast…life is good!
And these pancakes are the perfect way kick off the holidays or a Saturday morning. Or a Monday morning because Mondays just need something to look forward to!
So let’s start with the base.
This pancake is made with my traditional pancake players: whole wheat flour, eggs, coconut oil and Greek yogurt.
Then they are notched up about a billion times with the addition of cocoa powder and dark chocolate morsels.
I am in love with chocolate……so I am pausing to remember the pure joy I experienced when eating these pancakes, PLAIN!! (Hey, I needed to test all aspects of this recipe before sharing with you–I take this eating thing seriously!)
Now let’s talk about the Cherry Compote.
So easy, so juicy, so sweet, so tart–SO PERFECT.
I make this compote easily with by simmering frozen bing dark cherries together with a bit of maply syrup and some pomegrante or cherry juice (whatever I have on hand.)
I don’t want to over sweetened the cherries. I really don’t want to be in a sugar comma by 8 am–and by giving the pancakes a dusting of “SNOW” you really don’t need much sugar.
Grab a fork dig in. You will feel like you are eating a Holiday cake or a chocolate covered cherry–not a healthy breakfast. And yes, you can thank me. Or send chocolate.
- 1 pound frozen or fresh dark sweet cherries
- ½ cup pomegrante or cherry juice
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional or to taste)
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup dark chocolate morsels
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup plain Chobani Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- powdered sugar for dusting
- For the Cherry Compote:
- Bring cherries, juice and maple syrup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until cherries have burst and sauce has thickened.
- For the Pancakes:
- Heat a large skillet or griddle to medium heat and grease with butter or oil.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking pwder together. Add the chocolate chips to dry ingredients and toss until the morsels are dusted with flour.
- Combine the milk, yogurt, eggs, vanilla, and oil together.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter onto the heated skillet. Cook until bubbles start to form and then flip and cook for another 2 minutes.
- To Serve the Pancakes:
- Place 2-3 pancakes on a serving plate and top generously with the Cherry compote. Sift powdered sugar over the pancakes and sauce.
Looking for more ways to incorporate Chobani yogurt into your recipes? Check out there recipe page here.