Remember when I shared my blueberry pie bar recipe with you last week?
I stated that with those bars and my Papa’s baked beans, I was a happy girl.
However, I did make my husband his all time favorite burger to make him just as happy as myself. And truth be told, I was smiling on the inside when I bit into this burger and grateful for his request.
Before he sat down to eat, he said, “You better get a good picture of this–this is a recipe you definitely want to share.” So sweet and supportive. Well, at least for red meat 🙂
Trust me, his favorite burger may become your new favorite as well!
Start with a simple burger.
Be sure to use grass-fed beef for ultimate flavor and to obtain the maximum health benefits from the beef. I used 90/10 beef and added some olive oil to the meat for a bit more healthy fat–this keeps the burger moist and juicy. Add some salt and pepper, throw on a hot grill and you have a great start for a burger.
Then top this burger with perfectly crisp homemade fried onions and a bright and tangy sauce made with mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, fresh lemon juice, and horseradish–yep, it takes it over the top.
Do you notice I did not use a whole wheat bun as I normally would? Not my choice. I made a last minute trip to the grocery store late morning on the 4th of July and I scored the LAST package of buns. Lucky me! I guess that teaches you the value of never shopping last minute close to a big holiday!!
Anyways, here is the recipe. And no matter what meat or buns you use, the sauce and the onions are the star ingredients that make this burger shine!!
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt (or all Mayo)
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 lb 90/10 ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons ground pepper
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 burger buns
- Bring the oil to a boil. Add the onion slices and lower heat to medium. Stir the onions every minute or so for about 30 minutes, until onions are browned (watch closely--they can burn quickly). Drain on paper towel well and lightly salt.
- Mix together the lemon juice, mayo, yogurt, and horseradish together. Set aside to top completed burgers.
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Mix the meat lightly with the oil and salt and pepper until just combined. Form into 4 equal patties. Make an indentation in middle of each burger to ensure even cooking.
- Cook burgers for about 6 minutes per side. Turn grill off and add cheese to burgers. Also place buns on grill to lightly toast. Close grill and leave for 1 minute. Remove buns and burgers.
- Allow burgers to rest for at least 5 minutes and then assemble. Start by adding 1 tablespoon of sauce on bottom of each burger bun. Top with burger and ¼th of the onions.