Cheesy Ham and Scalloped Potatoes: Leftover ham shines in a simple gratin made with sliced potatoes and a homemade sharp cheddar cheese sauce.
Every once in awhile I strike gold when I least expect it. Cheesy Scalloped Ham and Potatoes was one of those times.
But there are still the days when I am stumped as to what to make my family for dinner.
I typically have a weekly game plan, but there are times, many times, plans change.
I fogot to take out chicken from the freezer or after-school activities run longer than planned–you know how it goes.
Last week it rained on my grocery day. Just like my sweet little Boston Terrier, I hate to go out in the rain. And I am spoiled. I live in an area where the sun shines more than it doesn’t. So if it happens be raining and I have enough food to change-up my shopping day, you better believe that I refuse to put my rain boots on.
On this particularly gloomy day, I checked around in my pantry and found some potatoes leftover from a huge 10 pound Costco special and some leftover Balsamic Fig Glazed Ham pushed to the back of the fridge.
Hmmm, how did that get overlooked?I was wanting to make ham sandwiches earlier that week and thought the ham was gone. I can be blind at times.
Well lucky for us, the leftover ham became the inspiration to:
Cheesy Ham and Scalloped Potatoes.
My dad always made scalloped potatoes when my mom prepared ham. However, I did not have enough ham to serve on the side of the potatoes–so let’s put it into the scalloped potatoes, I thought to myself.
And I decided instead of my Dad’s traditional butter sauce, I wanted a cheese sauce.
My kids would want a cheese sauce. YOU want a cheese sauce! Don’t you?!
Oh yes, the ham gets slathered in cheese and a bit crispy on top. Now I was onto something.
So my humble leftovers became my winner. My strike of gold. My ticket to praise from my family. You need this in your life. You need to strike some gold yourself. You need to hear that praise.
- 2 cups diced ham
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 4 quart baking dish.
- Layer half the potatoes in the baking dish and top with 1 cup diced ham. Repeat layers.
- Heat the butter over medium heat until melted, whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder and cook until milk is just about boiling. Whisk in the cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the ham and potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
I was so inspired by this dish, that I decided to buy another ham and make one Balsamic Fig Glazed Ham and turn it into 7 hearty meals. Yes, SEVEN meals. You must check out this magic. I am sharing that today over on Grocery Shop For Free.
More Recipes Featuring Leftover Ham: