Chewy Cranberry Zinger Cookies: A chewy oatmeal cookie that is filled with dried cranberries, chopped nuts, cinnamon and a zing of ginger. A recipe shared straight from Christy Jordan’s cookbook, Sweetness.
I used to never understand how people could become close friends over the Internet. Meeting your soul mate over the internet completely stumped me.
But then I became a blogger. I did not start blogging to meet people. I started blogging to help people save money and eat healthy. I never expected that I would connect with not only my readers (thank you!) but also other bloggers and form close and cherished friendships.
I am beyond blessed by so many “virtual” friends. One of these dear friends, is Christy Jordan from Southern Pate. Y’all–Christy Jordan makes the southern girl come out in me–did you catch the y’all?!
I want nothing more than to squeeze this woman in person and sip on sweet tea while I am barefoot on her back porch and listen to her talk. Christy is rare breed. She oozes happiness and kindness. You feel like you are loved by her after just moments of meeting her–in person or online.
When she offered for me to review her new cookbook, Sweetness, I didn’t have to think twice. In fact, I was honored.
The minute Sweetness arrived at my doorstep, you would have thought Christmas came early to my house. I ripped open the package and literally read the book cover to cover. YES, I know it is a cookbook!!
But seriously, Christy has a way of drawing you in and the history and story behind each recipe, just warms your soul and makes you feel like you are experiencing her precious memories. Not to mention, each recipe in sweetness is just that–SWEET!
These are not healthy, whole wheat, gluten free, Paleo or dairy free recipes. These are recipes that filled with butter, sugar, flour and most importantly LOVE! And boy do they taste AMAZING!
My kids have felt like it is Christmas around here too since Ms. Christy’s book showed up in our lives. I have been baking up a storm and they are willingly obliging to be my taste testers.
These Chewy Cranberry Zingers are one of our favorites we have tried so far from the book. In fact they are one of Christy’s stated favorites as well. They are filled with tart cranberries, a gingery zing, and chopped nuts (or sub out the nuts and use white chocolate chips if you dare–I tried that and WOW!! Both versions are incredible.)
Pretty sure, y’all need to get out some butter to soften and make these little sweet babies to bring a little Sweetness to your day.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- 1½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oen to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Combine the sugars, butter, cinnamon, ginger and egg in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed, about 2 minutes. Add flour and mix thoroughly.
- Add the oats, cranberries, vanilla, and nuts and beat at medium spped until combined into a stiff dough.
- Form the dough into golf ball-size balls using a cookies scoop or tablespoon and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until lightely golden at the edges, 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a platter or wire rack to cool completely.
- These cookies will keep in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.
And just like Christy says, sharing baked goods with others is a way to share love. Get all the inspiration you need for treats everyone around you will love in this fabulous cookbook, Sweetness, that by the way is an Amazon Top Seller. Not only is it a book you will want to own for the recipes, but one you will want to own for the stories!
Thank you to Christy Jordan for giving me this cookbook and allowing me to share with you all my love for her and for this book!