It was one of those days for me.
You know the ones, I would be out running around and rushing home starving for dinner.
I always try to prepare a crock-pot meal or a simple dinner for those nights to keep my family eating together and real, healthy foods.
So for dinner, I had placed some chicken in a marinade of soy sauce, honey, pineapple juice and minced garlic. All that would need done upon my arrival home was to package up the chicken with some sliced peppers and onions and throw on the grill.
Ready for a time and money saving tip–besides the obvious one of planning ahead to avoid last minute take-out (that seems to be the hardest tip for most people to start implementing) This budget cooking tip is to buy a bag of frozen bell pepper and onion slices–they are usually much cheaper than buying the fresh produce, you can use only the amount you would like, they add vegetables in an instant to any dish, and the work of cutting and seeding the produce is done for you! I love this product and you will always find them in my freezer!
After a busy day, this is the perfect dinner. There is no clean up–toss the foil when done cooking. No need to heat house up on warm summer nights. It is a breeze to put together. And it still delivers a heavy wallop of flavor.
I served these packets with a bag of steamed edamame. It was a satisfying dish that provided lots of protein to feed my body that had been worn out from a long day.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and cut into 4 equal portions.
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 8 oz package of sliced pepper and onion mix, defrosted
- Combine the pineapple juice, honey, soy sauce, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and garlic in a shallow dish. Add the chicken and cover. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Place each piece of chicken on piece of foil that is large enough to wrap up the entire piece of chicken and fold over the top. Place ¼ of the pepper and onion mixture on each piece of chicken and pour about 1 tablespoon of marinade over the chicken.
- Bring all sides of the foil up together and fold together securely for each piece of chicken.
- Place foil packets seam side up on grill and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly. Open foil packet up carefully, as steam will escape.