Chipotle Chicken Torta: A Mexican Sandwich made with slow cooked chipotle chicken, crunchy cabbage, sharp queso fresco, and creamy avocado is one sandwich that will have you screaming “Ole!”I have a confession to make to you all. I work out while catching up on my DVR cooking shows.
Why is this a confession? Because my workouts can tend to not be very productive. I have my computer set up on a small table streaming in a workout video, while one of my favorite cooking shows is playing in the background. I am a die hard multi-tasker. Which sounds smart, until you are let in on the fact that I am EASILY distracted.
So as I squat and lunge with my impressive 3 pound weights, I may stop and drool a few times. I may even run to find a scrap sheet of paper to write down an idea for a recipe, or an ingredient I need from the store. So my workout my suffer a bit, but I use my DVR’d shows as motivation to keep working out.
One particular day, I was actually watching live TV and happened to be very focused on my set of burpees, so focused that I missed the recipe–and there was no rewind button. All I know is that once I looked at the TV screen, as I lay on the floor in a small pool of sweat, I began to drool over what was being referred to as a Mexican Torta.
Mexican Torta? Torta is a type of sandwich from Mexico. Why in the world I had not yet thought to put a Mexican spin on a sandwich, was beyond me. Hello! I
LOVE am obsessed with Mexican cuisine. I knew I had to try this Torta thing out.
I had no clue what was on the sandwich that graced my television, but I know how to throw some Mexican food together.
And this sandwich proved I REALLY do know how to throw some Mexican food together! In fact, my husband swapped part of my sandwich off my plate when I was not looking. I may still be a bit resentful for that.
But truly, I can not blame the guy! I was tempted to steal my little girl’s sandwich as she chit chatted about her day (she ALWAYS eats everything, but is the last one to finish–such a talker!) You need to dive into this one–it is a soft roll, topped with tender chipotle chicken, then finished with fresh tomato, avocado, lime, queso and crunchy cabbage.
- 4 soft Bolio rolls
- 1 pound chicken boneless, skinless breasts
- ¼ cup chipolte peppers, from a can
- ½ cup beer (I used a mild lager, but chicken stock or orange juice works too)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 lime
- ½ cup queso fresco cheese
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper
- For the chicken: Place the chipolte peppers and sauce, the chicken, and the beer in crock pot. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- For the sandwiches:
- Mash the avocado with the juice of the lime and 1 teaspoon salt. Spread on the the top layer of each roll.
- Layer the bottom of the roll with the chicken, tomato, onion, cabbage, and cheese. Place the top layer of the roll on the bottom and serve (with plenty of napkins.)
For tips on how to store your leftover chipolte peppers, check out my Freezer Post. You don’t want to waste ANY of that great flavor!