Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie: A creamy smoothie made with fresh strawberries, yogurt and milk is taken to a new level when swirled with melted chocolate, topped with a layer of chocolate and served with a chocolate covered strawberry. Be prepared to be wowed!
Can I let you in on a little secret? I LOVE Valentine’s Day!!!
Are you shocked? You aren’t?!! I guess you have seen all my posts where I like to play with my food and make things special for holidays.
BUT, you should be shocked that I love Valentine’s Day! Why? My husband screws this holiday up EVERY YEAR!!! I mean like epically–like buys me ice cream at 6 AM and then leaves in the car (not in cooler) until 6 PM. He said it was only 35 degrees outside so he thought it would be fine. It wasn’t, but he tried to convince me to refreeze it. . Or there was the time he brought home vending machine candy–although, come to think of it, that may be the best gift he has ever given me for Valentine’s Day. Regardless of the lame gifts, I love him and I still love Valentine’s Day.
And this smoothie–I LOVE this smoothie. And it reminds me of Valentine’s Day because if I could pick out one sweet to get on Valentine’s Day, it would be chocolate-covered strawberries. YUM! But this smoothie can be served up ANY time of year–why limit yourself?
This is a rich and creamy drink that is swimming with protein and calcium from the milk and yogurt and antioxidants from the dark chocolate and strawberries–totally healthy 😉 Well, it is certainly a HEALTHIER treat than most things.
To make this is really quite simple. First I start by melting some dark chocolate. I dip a 4 strawberries in the chocolate and set aside on wax paper to dry. I also make 4 small flat circles with the dark chocolate on wax paper (just spread it out with back of spoon). This is the layer of chocolate that will go on top of the smoothie. I guess you could skip this part, but it is so fun! Then I just blend up some fresh chopped strawberries with some milk, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Zip. Zip. Done and naturally pink. Gorgeous pink color match my friend prom dress color.
To serve: Evenly divide smoothie mixture between 4 glasses. Add 1-2 teaspoons of the leftover melted chocolate to the smoothie and stir. Top with the hardened disk of chocolate and garnish with one chocolate covered strawberry. Slurp up some happiness.
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, cut into small chunks (or use dark chocolate chips)
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval until chocolate is melted.
- Dip 4 whole strawberries in chocolate and set aside on tray lined with wax paper. As well on the wax paper, Make 4 circles a bit smaller than your serving glasses, using the back of a spoon to spread. Place in fridge or freezer to harden quickly.
- To serve: divide the smoothie evenly between 4 glasses. Add in 1-2 teaspoons remaining melted chocolate and stir. Top with disk of dark chocolate and garnish each glass with strawberry.
For this recipe I recommend: