I believe that every bite of food should be savored. If you want to eat a piece of cake, you should enjoy every single morsel without a bit of guilt. I think you should also enjoy that salad before the cake too. 80/20–right?!
And I want to indulge my family in their cravings as well. BUT I still try to keep these indulgent choices as “clean” as possible. While “clean eating” for me may be different for than “clean eating” for you, I choose to NOT purchase anything with partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, MSG, and artificial colors. For me personally, I really just don’t want to put those things in my body or my family’s body. I know that we will eat that stuff at parties and we are at other people’s house, but I really try to do my best to keep it OUT of my house.
So what do you do when your husband has a weakness for a dessert that is traditionally made with cookies and cream cookies, frozen whipped, and pudding mix? Well, of course I could just make it for him the way he grew up having it, BUT his craving for this dessert comes at several times a year, more like several times a month!
So I made a few swaps. I used a brand of cookies that were made with REAL food and no preservatives or artificial flavors. I used a boxed pudding mix that had 2 ingredients and only required me to add milk to it. And I used a brand of Frozen Whipped Topping that was organic, non-GMO, and free of hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. AND I found ALL these ingredients at my local major chain grocery store and they did NOT cost an arm and a leg. Healthy? Nope. But a bit better than the traditional.
However, does it taste as good–because like I said, if you can’t enjoy it, you don’t need to eat it! Well, my skeptical husband said he PREFERRED it. He said it was richer in taste and less cloyingly sweet. He loved it!! In fact, he loved every single bite of it! We all did!!
I guess this means that I can keep making it for him AND keep my house free of the ingredients on my no-no list. And let me tell you, I am not embarrassed to lick every bit of this dessert off my spoon 🙂
- 1 package Organic Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package all natural cookies and cream sandwich cookies ( I used a brand--Simply Made)
- 1 package Tru-Whip, defrosted OR 8 ounces whipping cream, whipped to stiff peaks with ¼ cup powdered sugar mixed in
- Make pudding according to package directions and cool completely.
- Pulse the package of cookies into crumbles in food processor (or place them in large bag and crush them up with your hands or bottom of glass cup). Reserve ½ cup of the crumbs for topping the parfaits with. Mix the rest of the cookies crumbs into the prepared pudding.
- Fold in half of the Tru-Whip (or whipped cream) into the pudding mixture.
- Layer the pudding mixture into 8 parfait glasses or dessert bowls. Top each parfait with enough whipped cream to cover the pudding. Sprinkle the reserved cookie crumbs over each parfait.
- Alternatively, you could put the pudding mixture into a large glass bowl, then top with remaining cream and cookie crumbles.
So grab a spoon and enjoy!