A Bit Under the Weather
It is never a good sign when Mom wakes up feeling a bit quaky. And unfortunately, that was me the past three days.
Luckily for my family, only my son had similar issues and he bounced back quite a bit quicker- lucky him, not so lucky me for me!
But, unfortunately for my family, when I am queasy, the last thing I want to do is eat, let alone COOK.
I had pulled out some chicken breasts to defrost in plans to make Chicken Marsala—that was just not going to happen! I did not have the energy or the desire to eat one of my favorite dishes.
(Don’t worry, I will share my chicken marsala recipe with you soon–it is a keeper!)
But I needed to use the chicken. And I needed a recipe with NO EFFORT! I had zero energy! And I also knew it had to be something that I could try to force myself to eat. Due to my health issues, I can not afford to take even one day off eating.
Thankfully, despite of my lack of appetite, I remembered a dish that was unbelievably easy and so comforting:
Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili is warming to the belly and soul. It is hearty, but light and the subtle spices are not overpowering for sensitive tummies or palates.
And besides the unbelievable taste that this chili dish delivers, it comes together in mere minutes.
Yes, that is heaven! Perfect for busy days, chilly days, and sick days!
I seriously dumped a few ingredients into the crock-pot and returned myself to my bed until my kids made their way home from school.
That night, I was able to dish my family up a hearty meal that would fill them up and I was able to delicately sip on the soup, filling myself with comfort and nourishment my body desperately needed.
Whether you are sick, need a quick meal, need a hearty chili for a cook-off, or just desiring a comforting soup, this White Chicken Chili is for you.
- ¾ to 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can diced green chilis
- 2 cans Great Northern White beans, 1 drained, 1 with canning liquid
- Optional Toppings: Sour cream, Greek yogurt, shredded montery jack or cheddar cheese, feta cheese, salsa verde, tortilla chips
- Place all the ingredients into crock-pot except for toppings. Give a quick stir. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Discard the bay leaves and remove the chicken to shred/cut into bite size pieces and return to soup.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
- My personal favorites are Greek yogurt and salsa verde.