Cubano Pizza: All the classic flavors of a Cubano sandwich in pizza form. Mojo pork, sweet ham, tangy pickles, sharp cheese and mustard make the perfect spin on this sandwich and are magically transformed into a mouth -watering pizza Pizza.
We can never have enough pizza here at this house. We love it just about in any form we get it–from classic cheese to Taco Pizza to Buffalo Chicken Pizza. And this latest Pizza creation: Cubano Pizza is one not to miss.
When it comes to meals, I am a planner and hate to let food go to waste. Therefore, I am always looking for ways to use up my leftovers and often my weekly meal plan includes a meal or two that I plan to use one meal to help stretch into a new meal. This past week, I had on the menu my Pork Carnitas and Chicken Cordon Bleu. From those meals, I ended up with some leftover ham, Swiss cheese, and about a cup of shredded pork. Add in the homemade pickles a neighbor gave to me and I had the makings of a classic Cubano sandwich. The problem? I had no bread in the house. Instead of making a loaf of bread, I decided to make pizza dough and turn this sandwich into a pizza–it was after all a Friday Night and we love our pizzas on Friday nights.
This is so simple and so incredibly good. I started by using my friend, Rachel’s Whole Wheat Pizza Dough, because it is so easy and so good. Then I pile on the flavor–a smear of mustard, a layer of diced ham, a layer of leftover Carnita meat (pretty close to Mojo flavored!), and then smothered in Swiss cheese. Once baked, I throw on the diced pickles. Pizza party in my mouth!! OH YUM!!
- 1 recipe Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 ounces diced ham, nitrate free
- 1-2 cups leftover Carnita meat
- 8 ounces, shredded Swiss cheese (or slices if that is what you have!)
- ¼ cup chopped bread and butter pickles
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Roll out pizza dough onto greased 12 inch pizza pan. Spread with mustard, then layer on the ham, pork, and cover in cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and crust is cooked through.
- Top with dill pickles and serve.