This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mission®. All opinions are entirely my own.
Easy Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cream: Lentils are simmered with taco seasoning for the base of a hearty, meatless taco. Finished with avocado lime cream and crunchy cabbage for a perfect balance in flavors and texture.
You know that whole Taco Tuesday thing?
And you guys? Well, I KNOW you are with me on this one. Because you often ask me where to buy tortillas that aren’t filled with preservatives and GMO products?
Guess what? I FINALLY have an answer for you! Mission Organics® Tortillas are new to the market, USDA organic certified, non-GMO project verified, and available in Flour, Whole Wheat, and White Corn. So just where can you find Mission Organics Tortillas? In the tortilla section at your local grocery store. Check out their store locator here! WAHOO!!
Speaking of questions you ask me, another big one is how to incorporate more meatless meals into your meal rotation?
Lentils are a sort of magical thing when it comes to meatless meals. They have a similar texture to ground meat, are easy to find, easy to cook, and take on any flavor you are going for–therefore they are really easy to get picky family members to eat. I often use lentils to make sloppy joes and they are always a hit with my family, including my meat-eating husband.
But really who cares if you save money if no one will eat your meal, right?
Well, these slightly spicy Lentil Tacos are AH-AMAZING!!! The lentils themselves taste just like traditional ground taco meat and when paired with Mission Organics Tortillas that taste as authentic as fresh, hand-made tortillas, these tacos are sure to be devoured.
I find the perfect topping for these tacos is shredded cabbage for crunch and texture, tomatoes for freshness, and chopped cilantro. The finishing touch is a simple avocado sauce that is made with mashed avocado, fresh lime juice and salt. Simple, yet perfect.
- 6 Mission Organics Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 1 cup, dried lentils
- 2½ cups vegetable stock, or water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 large avocado
- 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large tomato, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Bring water, tomato sauce, taco seasoning and lentils to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low, cover pan, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- While lentils are cooking, prepare the avocado sauce, by mashing the avocado with the juice of 1½ limes and salt. Use the remaining lime juice to drizzle the cabbage with.
- Also, char the tortillas. I put them directly over my gas burners (over medium-heat) for 1 minute per side, but you can also heat them in dry hot skillet the same way.
- To assemble, place a layer of cabbage on tortilla, top with lentil mixture, diced tomatoes, cilantro and a drizzle or dollop of the avocado cream.
If your family is a bit hesitant to embrace a vegan and meatless meal at the same time, go ahead and top these Lentil Tacos with more traditional toppings like cheese and sour cream. And don’t forget to pair this lentil taco meat, with Mission Organics Tortillas, for the best taste. Pictured are the Whole Wheat variety, but I have to be honest in saying, I tried the Flour and White Corn as well and LOVE them all.