Think Egg Salad needs to be boring? Think again! This Egg Salad is lightened up with Greek yogurt, kicked up a few notches with the addition of horseradish, and finished off with oven roasted tomatoes.
Growing up, I would cringe whenever my mom made egg salad. The texture grossed me out and all I could taste was mayo. I begged her NOT to feed it me.
Honestly, it was not until my husband started to tell me he missed having egg salad on occasion, that I ventured to make it myself.
The first time, I added Dijon mustard in place of mayo and tons of salt and pepper and left my eggs in fairly large chunks. Served on whole grain bread with tomato and lettuce–I could handle it!
And little by little I began to actually began to crave egg salad.
Once the magic of Greek yogurt was introduced into my life, all sorts of creamy salads that I despised due to the large amount of mayo were back on the table for me. Have you tried Greek yogurt in chicken salad or tuna salad? YUM!
This version is all about the zip from the horseradish, finished with the sweet tang of oven roasted tomatoes, not to mention that it has an added dose of protein from plain Greek yogurt.
- Boil your eggs: Place room temperature eggs in a single layer in a large stock pan. Add cold water to just cover the eggs. Bring to a boil. Once at a rapid boil, cover pan and remove from heat. Set timer for 12 minutes. Drain and chill eggs.
- Oven Roast your tomatoes (a great option for winter tomatoes that are not at their optimum flavor potential). Slice your tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Place on broiler rack, or wire cooling rack placed on larger sheet pan (to catch drippings). Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Cool before adding to sandwich.
- Peel and chop your hard-boiled eggs. I like my eggs in 1/4 inch chunks, but feel free to dice finer or mash with a fork.
- Mix Greek yogurt with horseradish, a squeeze of fresh lemon, and salt and pepper. Mix in eggs. Chill for at least 2 hours for maximum flavor.
- Serve on your favorite bread with the oven roasted tomatoes piled high with dark leafy lettuce.
- 1 vine ripened tomato, sliced into ½ inch slices
- 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 yolk discarded (if watching fat/calories), chopped
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- green leafy lettuce
- Season tomatoes with salt and pepper and roast in the oven at 300 degrees for 2 hours--until deep in red and shrunk to about half the original size.
- Mix Greek yogurt with horseradish, lemon juice, a generous pinch of salt and pepper together. Add eggs and mash or stir into desired consistency. Chill egg salad for 2 hours for optimum flavor.
- Serve egg salad with oven roasted tomatoes and lettuce on any bread you desire (or leave bread out!)
Finally–Enjoy the zip and tang of this creative take on Egg salad!
So whether you are looking for a high protein, easy, low cost lunch, or a way to use up all those extra Easter eggs–egg salad is a FABULOUS option. And this Horseradish Egg Salad with Oven Roasted Tomatoes is one version that will taste like an option from a gourmet deli.