These are my two small fries, Tate and Layla. They are pretty adorable, don’t you think?
They are precious and cute but to parent them well is more work than I ever imagined. Decisions I make help shape who they become and what their life will be like. I also have to keep these little small fries healthy, which is no small task.
In a sense I need to #healthifythefry.
What?! You are thinking I have gone crazy. And yes, that may be a bit true. I am corny and come up with weird sayings all the time.
But think about it.
- Healthify definition according to Kristen: to make something healthy
- The Fry: fry could refer to a child or to a food.
Both the foods and the children in our lives need to be made healthier! Have you seen the news lately?! Diabetes, obesity, heart disease all in young children due in a large part to unhealthy foods and lifestyles. It is a parent’s worst nightmare!
But let’s not stress about those problems, let’s prevent those problems.
It means to take our small fries and give them every advantage to develop into a healthy adult. It means taking our typical kids’ cuisine of deep fried chicken nuggets and fries and extending that to healthier options as well.
Does it mean getting rid of the fry and chicken nugget–um, no! I don’t want you or your children to hate me!! I believe moderation is key in everything in life. Because let’s face it, there is a time and a place for some fries!
However, I do want you to join me on my journey to #healthifythefry!
Keep Your Children Healthy By Learning the Following
- Know what your child needs from food to grow into a healthy adult.
- Expand your children’ts palates and try new vegetable and fruits (without disguising cauliflower in a sugary cake–that is only masking the problem, not fixing it!)
- Properly read a food label and what to watch out for on those labels.
- Let’s learn where our food came from.
- Be aware of false advertising and how to teach your children to be detectives for these for false claims.
So be on the lookout for my hashtag #healthifythefry as I begin to share with you my strategies for keeping our precious children healthy.
And please share with me what you would like me to help you with as you strive to #healthifythefry I would love to be working on answering those questions for you!
Recently, I became an Ambassador for “Food Revolution.” I will be sharing with you my journey with that as well. I will be working with the community here in Atlanta to change to way we feed our children. I can’t wait to start #healthifythefry here in Atlanta and our schools and in your homes!!
You may also be interested in reading: