Nothing beats a good slow cooker meal–am I right?!
I know you all agree! When you can get a non-processed, home cooked meal on the table with minutes of prep work, it is ALWAYS a good thing.
Samantha has created a cookbook that features over 80 slow-cooker recipes that are all family friendly and made from real foods!! I absolutely love every recipe in this cookbook!
This soup is the perfect medley of hearty flavors and warming spices. It definitely packs a flavor punch, but not so much so that the kids will turn their noses up at it–my kids loved it!
Below is stated Samantha’s recipe from Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers. However, I did cut the butter and flour in half when I made this for my family and it still turned out creamy and delicious.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeded if would prefer it milder)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips and cilantro for serving
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute until it's fragrant and light golden brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the flour and whisk continuously for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, increase the heat to a simmer and whisk continuously for several minutes, until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Add black pepper to taste and set the sauce aside.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large slow cooker. Top them with the diced tomatoes with green chiles and jalapeño and pour the sauce over the top. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through but not overcooked.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, stir the cheese into the slow cooker and core the slow cooker for the time being.
- Pull the chicken into large chunks and stir it back into the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are heated through. Stir well.
- To serve, crush the tortilla chips into a bowl and ladle the soup over the top, garnishing with extra cheese and the cilantro, if desired.
Don’t forget to check out all that Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers has to offer–great dinners for everyone!
And check out more featured recipes from the cookbook on Five Heart Home: