Lasagna Cupcakes: Everything you love about traditional lasagna, baked into single serving cupcakes. A super fun way to eat a classic. Freezer-friendly. Kid-friendly. Easy.
Growing up, lasagna was ALWAYS my birthday meal of choice. I loved the layers of rich ricotta, gooey cheese, and pasta! And of course being that it was topped with my Mom’s marinara sauce–it just sealed the deal for me!
My children also adore lasagna. They gobble up my 5 minute prep Weeknight Lasagna and my son has asked for Ravioli Lasagna for several of his own birthday dinners. And now, I have created something they beg to have packed in their lunches: Lasagna Cupcakes.
A pizza dough crust is filled with a classic ricotta mixture, salty and spicy Italian sausage, marinara, and cheese. And then baked up into a hand-held, finger food version of a cupcake. It is fun. Tasty. Freezer-friendly. And perfectly portable. My kids have been begging to have these daily in their lunch boxes.
So let’s break this down.
First, spread out a thin disk of pizza dough to line a greased muffin tin.
Second, fill with a mixture of ricotta, egg, and fresh herbs.
Top with a bit of your favorite Italian sausage, ground meat, or even veggies.
A little sauce.
A lot of cheese.
And bake to perfection.
I like to serve these warm with a side of Marinara Sauce, but my kids said they would take them plain, cold, warm, hot…..basically however they can get them! Which makes packing lunches, so much easier for this mom!
To Freeze: Cool completely and then freeze on cookie sheet for 30 minutes. Place each muffin into a freezer safe container or bag and seal tightly. Freeze up to 3 months. To thaw, place in refrigerator night before serving or heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- 1 Pizza Dough: (or 1 pound your favorite dough)
- ¾ cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1¾ cups whole white wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 For the Ricotta Filling:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 For the Toppings:
- ½ pound ground chicken Italian sausage (or your favorite ground meat)
- 1 cupmarinara sauce
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Make the dough:
- Combine the water and yeast and let sit for about 5 minutes in a large mixing bowl (or bowl of your stand mixer with dough hook attached.)
- Mix in the honey and oil. Add the flour and salt slowly and mix in as you go. With dough hook or large spatula mix together dough until well combined.
- Once mixed, knead for 5 minutes by hand on a lightly floured surface or with your dough hook on low-medium speed.
- Place dough in oiled bowl and cover and leave in warm spot for 20-30 minutes.
- While dough is rising, brown off your sausage, shred your cheese, and mix together the ricotta mixture.
- For the ricotta filling: Mix together the egg, herbs, and cheeses until just combined.
- To assemble the muffins:
- Grease 18 cup muffin pan.
- Flatten about 2 tablespoons into each muffin cup, coming up to the top of each cup.
- Fill each dough cup with about 1½ tablespoons ricotta mixture.
- Top with a couple teaspoons of the cooked sausage, 1 tablespoon marinara sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until ricotta mixture is set up and cheese is browned.
- Cool on cooling rack for 15 minutes and then carefully remove each Lasagna Cupcake from each liner. Allow to cool completely or serve warm.
- Once dough has risen, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Now check out more great Finger Foods from the Sunday Supper Family.
- Artichoke Jalapeno Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Wrapped Dates by Our Good Life
- Baked Blue Cheese Olive Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Baked Chicken Flautas by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Piroshki (Russian Stuffed Rolls) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Blue Cheese & Buffalo Chicken Wonton Bites by Moore or Less Cooking
- Caprese Polenta Cakes by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Cherry Topped Brie Bites by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Pesto Pizza by Taste And See
- Classic Homemade Guacamole by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Vegetable Rainbow Rolls by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Italian Fried Stuffed Olives by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Kabobs by Hardly A Goddess
- Mini Feta Leek Quiche by FoodieTots
- Mini Mediterranean Shish Kebabs by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Pan Seared Bruschetta by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Raspberry Glazed Chicken Wings by Family Around The Table
- Sesame Chicken Fingers by An Appealing Plan
- Spicy Popcorn Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Battered-dipped Turkey Tenders by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Wellington Bites by Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Broccoli, Ham & Cheese Double Stuffed Potatoes by Simply Healthy Family
- Cheesy Baked Garlic Chicken Strips by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Cuban Sandwiches by My World Simplified
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders by The Chef Next Door
- Ethiopian Injera and Tikel Gomen (cabbage, carrots and potato) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Fish fingers and Old Bay Dip by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Crunchy-Coated Haddock Fingers by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Ham and Cheese Sliders by Feeding Big and More
- Mini Pizza Pockets by The Freshman Cook
- Mini Pizzas by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Ribs with Whiskey Maple Barbecue Sauce by Palatable Pastime
- Savory Beef and Veggie Hand Pies by Positively Stacey
- Spinach-Feta Rolls by Wholistic Woman
- Lasagna Cupcakes by A Mind Full Mom
- Tacos in Lettuce Wraps by Simple and Savory
- Thai Basil Chicken Lettuce Wraps by Casa de Crews
- Thai-Indian Beef Lettuce Cups by The Texan New Yorker
- Vegetarian Piadina Sandwich by she loves biscotti
- Yuca Fritters Stuffed with Cheese by Basic N Delicious
- Blueberry and Brie Tarts by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Strawberry Hand Pies by Baking Sense
- Salted Caramel Cream Puffs by The Redhead Baker
Plus Bite-sized Pavlovas and More Finger Food Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.