A special Easter treat: Delicate scones made with Greek yogurt and flavored with fresh lemon and adorned with a lemon glaze. These scones are the perfect way to welcome in Spring, especially when shaped as a sweet little bunny.
On Easter morning, as the kids are busy finding the eggs that the magical bunny hid for them, I can think of nothing better than stretching out with coffee and a delicate scone while I soak in every minute of their joy and delights as they find their little treasures.
As they finish filling their baskets, their smiles will remain big as they join me at the Easter brunch table where sweet little bunnies kissed with a lemon glaze await them.
Let’s take a minute to talk about these scones. First of all, they are EASY. Secondly, they have been made lighter than traditional scones with the addition of Greek yogurt to replace some of the butter. Third, LEMON. That is all I need to say, right?! Lemon screams of spring and the freshness that the lemon adds to the scone is refreshing to a heavy brunch or the perfect compliment to lighter fare. After I eat one of these lemon scones for Easter brunch, I want a No Bake Paleo Lemon Bar from Texanerin Baking after enjoying Easter Dinner.
And then to glaze the scones with a fresh lemon juice glaze—the icing on the cake……or scone 🙂
Time to get baking.
I used my food processor and pulse, pulse, pulse. The dough was done.
I brushed the scones with an egg wash and popped into the oven.
While the scones baked, I made a simple glaze of fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar. Once the scones had cooled, I dipped each one into the glaze and allowed to sit for the glaze to harden, as I licked the glaze joyfully from my fingers.
That is it. So easy, so refreshing, so fun!
- 1½ cup whole white wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- dash of salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed and chilled
- ⅓ cup cold Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, seperated
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In food processor, combine flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt and the zest of the lemon. Pulse once or twice until combined.
- Add in the butter, yogurt, vanilla, and egg white. Pulse until dough is just combined and looks like sand. Dump the dough out unto floured surfaced and press together into a large circular disk. Roll out to ½ inch thick. Either cut with a floured cookie cutter or a knife into triangles.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoons water and brush over each scone.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until browned.
- While the scones are baking, prepare glaze by mixing together the juice of a lemon and the powdered sugar.
- Once scones are cool to the touch, dip each scone into the glaze and let sit until glaze sets.
Now excuse me while I grab myself a cup of coffee and enjoy my sweet little Spring treat.