Mediterranean Chickpea Salad: A hearty meatless salad that is filled with classic Mediterranean flavors and flair. This dish is perfect to stand alone as an entree, served as a side dish, or even used as a party dip.
Do you love the flavors of the Mediterranean Cuisine as much as I do?
Olive oil, tangy capers, fresh tomatoes, oregano, salty kalamata olives, feta……what is not to love?
And I know I have featured these flavors in so many dishes like Frittata, Pasta Salad, Greek Qunioa Salad, Mediterranean Chicken Skillet, and Greek Pinwheels, but the flavors are just TOO GOOD to miss out on.
Or maybe you just want to be transported out of winter with a fresh dish that can be made year round–I am totally there. I think I would sell my left arm to be in the Mediterranean to soak up some sunshine.
Since no one has offered me up a trip to Greece’s coastline and I do love the Cuisine there greatly, I decided I would transport myself out of the dreary winter weather with a fresh salad that is filled with classic Mediterranean flavors.
Look at those juicy olives, and perfectly ripe tomatoes………so good. But then you add diced cucumbers, feta, red wine vinegar and oregano and there is a flavor explosion.
The chickpeas provide texture and protein, as well as fiber, making this salad substantial enough it can stand alone as an entree.
However, the options for how you choose to use this dish are endless.
- A refreshing side dish to grilled chicken that has been drizzled with fresh lemon juice and olive oil.
- Filled in a pita to take as a lunch to go.
- Scooped up with pita chips as a refreshing dip at a party.
- The filling of an omelet for a unique breakfast.
Let your imagination guide you!
I personally enjoyed this dip as all of the above. I had to test it out before I shared it with you–right?
Take the 5 minutes to make this salad. Then look at pictures of the coastline of the Mediterranean and pretend you are there. And if you happen to be reading this from the Greek Isles, please send me an invite!
- 1 15 oz can, low sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 English cucumber, diced (peel on or off is fine)
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ red onion, diced finely
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Mix together all ingredients and let chill for at least 2 hours for flavors to combine.
More Fresh Summer Salads:
Southwestern Chicken Cobb Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing