Guess what? I love pasta and I love Mexican food. Oh, I have mentioned that before. Excuse me for stating that fact again, it is just some serious love.
And you know, I have a hankering there may be a few of you that share the same passions of Mexican and pasta. So, I have a feeling you will adore my creation of a Meatless Mexican Lasagna that is easy and filling that combines pasta with traditional Mexican flare.
It all started in a desperate attempt to create something from nothing in my house. I found a half empty box of whole wheat lasagna noodles and the stuff to make my taco dip.
I was in serious need of a grocery store run and only happened to have the makings of the taco dip because I was suppose to take it to a party a few days prior to this that I was not able to attend due to a sick child. I could run to the store, but it was raining and I was feeling lazy and well, why spend money when I surely could create something here.
And why not just make the taco dip and serve that for dinner? I guess I would feel guilty for that.
So I made a lasagna.
I thought my hubbie was gone for the night on business, so I figured good time to experiment and if the kids and I didn’t like my creation, we could eat oatmeal.
Instead, I stumbled upon sheer brilliance.
So in about 60 minutes (if you count bringing the water to a boil for the noodles), I had a hot simmering casserole resting on my stove ready to dish up to me and my kiddos.
Then guess what happened?
My hubbie entered the door–surprise!! His business dinner was canceled and he skipped lunch!! I hope this creation would be good, because that man was too hungry for a bowl of oatmeal.
We sat down to dinner and I crossed my fingers.
I took my first bite, OH MY WORD!! It was a success in my mind for sure. I looked up and saw 3 happy stuffed faces. My hubbie said it was the best Mexican Lasagna he had ever eaten (move over cherished family recipe and make way for this easier and much less expensive dinner!!)
I think the heartiness from the noodles and beans, contrasted with the fresh toppings is just killer!
Trust me, you must try this!
I tried it out again on my sister who despises all forms of lasagna (I think she was adopted) and she loved it! And trust me, my sister is HONEST!! She is not afraid to tell me she hates something or that it was just okay. And my baby brother and his wife heard it was so good, they tried the leftovers for breakfast when they were over visiting one morning.
So make this like now. Or if not tonight, for your next Meatless Monday.
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 4 oz neufetchel cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- I recipe for homemade Taco Seasoning equivalent to one packet
- 1 can fat-free re-fried beans
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups salsa, rotel, or tomato sauce
- Toppings: fresh cilantro, chopped onions, chopped lettuce, chopped tomato
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together yogurt, cream cheese and taco seasoning until well combined.
- Spread ½ cup over bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Top with 3 noodles and then spread the beans over the noodles. Top with 3 additional noodles and then spread with yogurt mixture. Top with remaining noodles and then the salsa. Sprinkle the cheese over the salsa.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, lettuce, tomatoes and onions!