Mozzarella Tomato Quinoa Bake: Seasoned quinoa is baked with vine-ripened tomatoes and fresh mozzarella for a simple vegetarian and gluten-free summer meal.
Quinoa is so wonderful.
But seriously, what is not to love?
Quinoa is gluten free, high in protein, all natural, and can absorb the flavor profile of any cuisine.
And today I went for ITALIAN flare with this Caprese Style Quinoa Bake.
Fresh summer tomatoes and mozzarella cheese top heavily seasoned quinoa for a perfect light meal.
This Mozzarella Tomato Quinoa Bake would be delicious with a base of plain quinoa–I mean you can’t go wrong with fresh tomatoes combined with fresh Mozzarella–right?!
But take the extra step to season your quinoa, and this dish will make you willing to give you your local Caprese Pizza for Caprese Quinoa.
Oh…perfectly browned and bubbly cheese, tomatoes that have been roasted enough to bring out their sweetness. Drizzled with olive oil and balsamic and perfection!!
This a perfect meatless, gluten free hearty dish that can feed you all week for lunch, or keep your family fully satisfied for a wonderful dinner.
- 1 cup dried quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup low sodium tomato juice
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced to ½ inch thickness
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 basil leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees
- Combine the quinoa, tomato juice, water, garlic and salt. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix in the Parmesan and parsley into the quinoa and spread into a 9 inch baking dish or cast iron skillet.
- Spread the tomato slices evenly over the quinoa and then with your fingers, break the mozzarella into chunks and evenly distribute over the tomatoes.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Serve after drizzling the dish with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.