tPeanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins: A whole wheat banana bread muffin is stuffed with peanut butter and then topped with a rich chocolate ganache, for an out of this world muffin that is healthy enough for breakfast, yet decadent enough for dessert.
In my house you can NEVER have enough bananas. Seriously, they are one of my most favorite foods. I eat a banana nearly every day. In fact, my FAVORITE go-to snack is a rice cake spread with peanut butter and topped with banana. I don’t think there is a day that I wouldn’t be happy to eat that little snack.
And then once the bananas start to go brown, well let the baking begin! And if I don’t feel like baking, I stash them in the freezer for smoothies or to sweeten my oatmeal or to blend up as “ice cream.”
With my last batch of over-ripe bananas, I decided to make banana bread. There is nothing wrong with plain old banana bread–I love it! But, I had the idea to fill my banana bread with peanut butter and then finish it off with some melted chocolate–because you know, that flavor combo just can’t be topped.
While thinking about how I would create a banana bread that was perfectly filled with gooey peanut butter, I decided that I needed to make this into Banana Bread Muffins–cause I was going to need some serious portion control if banana bread and peanut butter were combined. But like I said, I was not just stopping with bananas and peanut butter, I was planning to add rich dark chocolate to seal the deal. And yes, chocolate chips in my banana bread batter would do the trick, but what sounded even better to me, melted chocolate over the muffin–so that it resembled a fancy cupcake. Yes, now I was onto something!
So the process is simple.
- Bake the Banana Bread in a well greased muffin tin or in silicone liners.
- After cooling, cut a circle out of the middle of the muffin to fill with peanut butter. And place the cut out circle back onto the muffin.
- Melt dark chocolate and spoon over the top of each muffin, spreading evenly.
- And to finish it off with an extra pizzazz–drizzle with a peanut butter glaze.
- Then DIG IN!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins have just become my new favorite snack. And they just might become yours now too!
- For the Banana Bread Muffins:
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup canola or coconut oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For the Filling:
- ½ cup peanut butter
- For the Chocolate:
- 16 ounces dark chocolate, cut into chunks
- For the Drizzle:
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tablespoon-1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line muffin tin with silicone liners.
- Mix together applesauce, oil, honey, vanilla, egg and banana together.
- Stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Scoop the batter into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the muffins have cooled, cut out a circle about the size of quarter from the top of each muffin, about ¼-1/2 an inch down.
- Fill each hole with peanut butter.
- For the chocolate: melt the chocolate chunks in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Spoon the chocolate over each muffin, spreading over completely.
- Optional Drizzle: mix together peanut butter, powdered sugar, and just enough milk to thin out. Using a fork, drizzle the glaze over the chocolate.