Peppermint Mocha Mousse: Rich, chocolate mousse that is made without any dairy! A surprise ingredient gives this dish a rich, luxurious taste and creates the perfect base for this mocha peppermint delight.
What is it about chocolate and peppermint that pair so beautifully with coffee?
Whoever put these three flavors together, I just want to say a big fat “THANK YOU!”
I typically find myself welcoming in the Holiday Season with a Peppermint Mocha in hand to fuel one of my many Christmas shopping trips.
It just feels festive! And tastes delicious! Not to mention the caffeine gives me the fuel I need to endure the Christmas crowds.
So in the spirit of the Holidays, I thought I would celebrate with a healthy indulgence that did not come from my favorite barista. I decided to celebrate one of my favorite Holiday flavors in mousse form–Peppermint Mocha Mousse.
And then I ate it and did a little happy dance. Jack-pot!!
So let’s talk about this mousse–I need you to hear me out on the base for this mousse.
The first time I heard of this ingredient used as a base of a mousse, I shut my brain down. I really thought it was someone trying to sell me on something that was disguised with sugar and labeled “healthy” while still tasting horrible–I fell for using cauliflower in my banana bread once–AND NEVER WILL REPEAT!!
So are you still with me? I promise you, this is crazy, but it works. Kid tested and approved!
Ever hear of AVOCADO MOUSSE?
Yep, crazy, right?! WRONG!!
Think about it, avocados are fairly mild in taste. They are also creamy and rich. Think about how guacamole can feel like velvet at times–I go a little crazy in my thoughts with food, I get that.
It works. And by adding the flavors of peppermint and coffee, well, it REALLY works.
So first off, let me start by saying this is still a dessert. It has sugar. It should not be eaten for breakfast on a daily basis (Confession, I did eat this for breakfast the night after I made it!)
BUT avocados are a wonderful source of many good things.
So you can eat your mousse and get a dose of fiber and healthy fats which will lead to gorgeous skin. Don’t you love the way I think?!
And this is a perfect option for those of you who are avoiding dairy for allergies or personal preferences.
So whether you want to have glowing skin, improve your cardiovascular health, or just plain enjoy a delicious pick-me-up, this Peppermint Mousse is for you.
- 1 large very ripe avocado
- ⅔ cup chopped dark chocolate (dairy-free if needed)
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a blender.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate and microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute until the chocolate has melted.
- Add the chocolate to the blender.
- Dissolve the sugar and espresso powder into the water, And add to the blender, along with the vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Blend until smooth.
- Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- If your blender is not having an easy time getting your mousse perfectly smooth, use a hand mixer or finishing mashing with a fork.
- It is VERY important to chill this mousse before eating. You want to give the flavors time to get acquainted before diving in!