Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese with Marinara Soup: A twist on grilled cheese that is sure to be a hit with your whole family. Provolone, mozzerella, and parmesan cheese are layered with pepperoni and toasted between two slices of soft, tender bread that has been slatered in garlic and herb oil. Served up with a side of Marinara Soup, perfect for dipping. This bread is inpired by Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread. #ArtesanoBread
I never bought school lunches growing up. NEVER. And most of the time I was totally good with eating my PB&J and fruit cup over the mystery meat and boxed mashed potatoes. But whenever it was Pizza Bob day at school, I was a bit envious.
What is a Pizza Bob? Just a fancy way of saying a grilled cheese made with pizza cheese. And I loved grilled cheese and pizza, so the combo intrigued me. In fact, thinking back on grilled cheese sandwiches recently (on a cold, windy Spring afternoon–when grilled cheese is just a necessary thing), this memory from my childhood popped into my brain. And I decided to create my own version of the Pizza Bob for my own family. And oh boy was it a winner.
Now you all know I like to make bread at home and typically I am all about whole wheat bread, but grilled cheese screams for white bread. And yes, I could make my own white bread, but why would I when I can purchase Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread? Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread has the taste of high-quality bakery or homemade bread and is made without high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors. It is the perfect choice for any gourmet sandwich at home. Plus it is so much more affordable than bakery breads. It really makes the great base for a perfect Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese–soft bread that crisps up beautifully and holds up to ooey, gooey cheese, but is not overpowering in taste, letting the essence of the pizza flavors shine through.
Grilled cheese is always best when served with a warm soup for dipping and what goes better with pizza than marinara sauce? So why not Marinara Soup? A rich, tomatoey soup that tastes just like marinara sauce–oh so good!! And so easy! It is just my tomato sauce cooked down with vegetable stock.
- For the Grilled Cheese:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teasspoon dried oregano
- 8 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ bread
- 8 thin slices provolone cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 slices nitrate free pepperoni
- For the soup:
- 2 cups your favorite marinara sauce
- 2 cups vegetable orchicken stock
- Combine the olive oil, garlic and oregano together. Brush on the exterior of all 16 slices of bread. Layer 4 slices of bread with 2 slices provolone cheese, 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, and 4 slices of pepperoni each. Top with remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Heat skillet/griddle to medium heat. Grill sandwiches for 5-6 minutes per side, until golden and cheese is melted.
- For soup:
- Bring marinara and stock to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, allowing flavors to come together.
- Serve sandwich with soup.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread.