This next week I am out of town, so I decided it would be a great time to feature some recipes that I have made from recipes that caught my eye around the web this past month. There are so many delicious recipes out there, so much inspiration, and so many times I see a recipe, I decide I have to have it!!
I was completely inspired by How Sweet it Is’ Bacon Pineapple Burger. She said that a better name may be OMG burger, and I totally agree with that!!
Sweet pineapple, crispy salty bacon, candied jalapenos ( I know, insane, right?!!), melted cheese and an sweet chili mayo. I mean, this burger was over the top! And the moment, I saw it, I wanted it.
The funny thing was the picture of her burger inspired me before I took a look at the recipe and completely, overlooked that there was an actual hamburger patty on this burger. The gorgeous pineapple and jalapenos, distracted me
So when I went to make this burger, I left the meat and cheese out and changed things up a bit. I highly encourage you to try both recipes. They are both so good. Maybe make the burgers twice in a week. Once with meat, once without. Come on a package of buns comes in 8, and one pineapple and one pound of bacon is quite enough to double the recipe–so you may as well put your food to work for you and make both burgers in one week and not waste the buns or pineapple
For my version of a pineapple “burger,” I literally used the pineapple slice as my burger. I tossed it with my favorite homemade teriyaki sauce from Daring Gourmet and grilled it to perfection along with, grilled slices of sweet vidalia onions. I topped the pineapple with candied jalapenos and perfectly crisp bacon, all on a lightly toasted bun off the grill. OMG is right!! The burger was sweet and tangy and had a salty zip from the bacon and the perfect amount of heat from the jalapenos.
My son declared this dinner “A winner, winner, pineapple dinner!!” It was amazing and the perfect lighter version of a burger for a summer dinner!
Make this tonight–I dare you to take your taste buds on a trip out of this world!
- 2 japlenos, sliced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 1" thick slices of fresh pineapple, cored and peeled
- ¼ cup of your favorite teriyaki sauce
- 4½' thick slices of vidalia onions, or another sweet onion
- 8 slices of nitrate-free bacon, that has been baked or fried to a crisp
- 4 whole wheat buns
- First candy the jalapenos. Combine the sugar, garlic powder, and vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Add the jalapenos and allow to cook for 5 minutes on low. Remove the peppers with a slotted spoon and cool. Discard the liquid.
- Toss the pineapple slices gently with the teriyaki sauce. Grill the pineapple slices and onion slices over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes per side.
- Lightly toast the buns on the grill.
- To assemble the burgers: Lay a pineapple slice on the bottom of the bun, place 2 slices of crisp bacon on the pineapple, top with an onion slice and then the jalapenos and finish with top of the bun.
Be transported to Hawaii with one bite of this burger!
Be sure to double the recipe for the candied jalapenos if you are planning on having both my burgers and How Sweet It Is Burgers.