Pumpkin Mexican Pizza: Savory black bean spread is topped with sharp cheddar cheese and then decorated with a Jack O Lantern face for a fun Halloween dinner.
You caught me, I played with my food. AGAIN.
This time, I changed up our Friday pizza night to feature a Smokey Black Bean Pizza, complete with a Jack O’Lantern face.
The result? 4 full bellies. An an empty pizza pan.
This pizza was crazy good!! The dough was the perfect vehicle to the smokiness of the dip and the sharp cheddar added so much richness to this pizza. I served it with sour cream and pico on the side, but we all agreed, there was NO need for any of it–it was just plain good!
The concept is simple. Homemade dough (I wont’ tell if you use store bought) is rolled into a large circle, as any pizza. The only difference is that I reserved a small pinch of dough that I shaped into a rectangle to place on top of the pizza as the pumpkin stem. Then spread out my Chipolte Black Bean Dip, reserve a bit for drawing the pumpkin face, and top with shredded cheddar. Bake. Pipe out reserved dip to draw on pumpkin face, if desired. Inhale.
There, you can do THAT!! And it is fun and more importantly, tasty!
- Pizza Dough:
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Pizza
- 1 recipe Smokey Black Bean Dip
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- optional: pico and sour cream for serving
- Make the pizza dough: Dissolve yeast in water and let sit for 5 minutes. Mix in honey and oil and flour and salt. Knead for 5 minutes until soft and dough forms a ball. Add more flour if needed. Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degress.
- Pinch off small piece of dough and roll remaining dough into a circle shape. Use small piece of dough to form rectangele for pumpkin stem.
- Spread dough with black bean dip, reserving 2 tablespoons for pumpkin face. Cover all but pumpkin stem, in cheese. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until cheese is melted and dough cooked through.
- Pipe on face using reserved black bean dip if desired.