Salsa Verde Spaghetti: Tomatillos, onions, and jalapenos are roasted and combined with fresh cilantro and lime to form a unique sauce that pairs perfectly with pasta for a Mexican spin on an Italian favorite.
I could eat pasta every single day of my life. It is this busy, frugal Mom’s dream come true–it cooks up fast, is inexpensive, full of fiber and protein (when using a whole grain pasta), and my kids love it!
I can eat pasta every day of life because the options are endless when it comes to how to prepare it. There is Classic Red Sauce with noodles, Creamy Chicken Parmesan, Ravioli, Lasagna, and even pasta salads. My newest obsession is my Mexican-Italian fusion–Salsa Verde Spaghetti!
Whole wheat noodles have been slathered in an easy homemade Salsa Verde and then topped with more fresh cilantro and crumbled queso fresco cheese. Salty, tangy, a bit spicy, and so fresh. Bottom line–good!!
The salsa verde comes together so easily. Fresh tomatillos, jalapenos and onions are roasted together to get tender and add an additional depth of flavor. Then they are blended together with fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice and a bit of extra virgin olive oil. At this point, you can get out your chips and start dipping, but it is so worth saving some of the salsa verde to toss with pasta–because this Salsa Verde Spaghetti is such a great dish.
You all know how much I love Mexican food and I swear there has to be some Italian blood in my somewhere with as much as I love pasta, so I am not sure why it took me so long to combine the two together. But oh boy, am I glad that I did. And I think you will be too!
- 6 fresh tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed (seeded for mild--leave seeds in for spicy)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped roughly chopped (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound whole grain spaghetti
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco.
- For the Salsa Verde:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss the tomatillos, onion, and jalapeno with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Roast for 20 minutes. Transfer the roasted mixture into a food processor or blender--juices included.
- Add in remaining tablespoon of oil, lime juice, cilantro (reserve some for garnish if desired), and salt. Process until smooth.
- Meanwhile cook the spaghetti according to package directions minus one minute in salted water. Drain pasta after cooked, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid. Place noodles back in pan over low heat. Add in salsa verde and ¼ cup cooking liquid. Stir to coat, adding the remaining water if needed, cook for 1 minute.
- To serve: toss with queso fresco and any reserved chopped cilantro
*If you can’t find fresh tomatillos, use canned, but rinse well!! Follow instructions as stated.