Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken with Snow Peas: Chicken and snow peas are simmered in the slow cooker with a naturally sweetened rich and spicy sauce. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this tasty dish!I was recently having a conversation with a friend about the slow cooker. We were sitting at the pool with our children on a VERY hot summer day, discussing what was on the menu for dinner. When I said that my dinner cooking away in the slow cooker, she looked at me and said, I always think of the slow cooker as just something you use in the winter.
Not so, my friend, not so.
I use my slow cooker more than any other appliance I own during the hot summer months. Why?
- Because I don’t want to turn on the oven.
- By the time I can get my kids out of the pool and dried off, I am way too exhausted from the sun to have any energy left to make dinner.
- The slow cooker is NOT only for heavy, comfort meals.
On this particular day, I looked like a rock star. I mean, it was 11 AM and my dinner was done and I had already worked out. Of course, it can be our little secret that my Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken that we were having for dinner only took 5 minutes to prep and my workout was a 10 minute HIIT interval with 3 pound weights. Celebrate the small things, my friends!
This Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken with Snow Peas is a bit spicy, a bit sweet, a bit salty. It hits your taste buds from all different angles, making it a winner with the whole family. Not to mention that it is made with all natural sweeteners, making it healthier than most recipes out there. I also choose to mix in snow peas the last 30 minutes because everyone in my house loves them. Of course you can leave them out or add in another veggie. Just note if you use something heartier like broccoli, you may want to pre-cook.
And the best way to serve this dish is over my Pineapple Cilantro Rice. The flavors complement this complex Mongolian Chicken well.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, into chunks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ⅓ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (like Sriracha)
- 1 pound frozen snow peas
- Coat the chicken in the cornstarch and place into slow cooker.
- Mix the soy sauce, pineapple juice, honey, jam, garlic, ginger, hot sauce, and chili flakes togther. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Add in the snow peas for the last 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Regardless, the lesson here is that your slow cooker is your friend. Whether you are working late, running errands all day, or lounging poolside–it is the way to save your family dinner from take-out or resort to just eating cereal for dinner.