Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas: Skip the Mexican restaurant and let your slow cooker do the cooking for you! Steak Fajitas come together with a few simple steps and are served up with all the flavor of a restaurant dish, just minus the smoke!
I love Mexican food. But I hate to go to Mexican restaurants. Why, you ask? Because I come home smelling like I have been on fire! Each and every time a server passes me with a tray of sizzling fajitas, my mouth waters, but my hair and my clothes absorb that smokey smell. I feel like I need to air out my clothes before I can even wash them. Please tell me I am not alone here?
Let me let you in on a little secret–You don’t need a cast iron skillet and smoke alarms going off to prepare delicious fajitas at home. All you need is your slow cooker.
Seriously, a less expensive piece of steak (I love to use flank steak or even london broil), some pantry staples, 10 minutes, and you too can have Steak Fajitas for dinner. That is for less time then you would wait to get a table out and way less money than you would spend eating out. Plus, no smokey hair and clothes to air out!
This dish is SO simple and results in such a juicy, flavorful filling for fajitas with ingredients I bet you have already on hand. A can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, a bag of frozen pepper and onion strips, a few Mexican seasonings, and a flank steak. Talk about cheap too!
You let the steak and pepper and onion blend simmer away in your slow-cooker, while you are at work, shopping, or at sporting events, and dinner will be nearly done. I add in some fresh lime and cilantro right before serving with fresh tortillas, grated cheese, and sour cream and my family is extremely happy!
- 1 pound flank steak, sliced against the grain into thin strips
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen pepper and onion strips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- For serving: tortillas, sour cream, Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, etc
- Place the flank steak and pepper and onion mix in slow cooker. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cumin. Pour tomatoes over top and spread to cover meat.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Once cooking time is finished, mix in the zest and juice of the limes and cilantro if using.
- Serve with a slotted spoon for fajitas or with the cooking liquid over rice or quinoa.
And if Fajitas aren’t your thing, serve the steak and pepper mixture over some rice or quinoa. Or use corn tortillas to keep this a gluten free meal. I promise you this will be one meal your family will be begging for over and over again!