Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Mini Peppers: A flavorful black bean and lime southwestern quinoa salad is stuffed into mini sweet peppers for a perfect hand-help appetizer. It is made complete with a lime sour cream dipping sauce.
Are you invited to a party? Do you need to bring a dish that everyone will awe over?
These little peppers are for you! They are gluten free, healthy, but FULL of incredible flavor–southwestern flavors, which seems to be loved by all. So this dish is a winner. Winner for those on diets, winner for those suffering from food allergies, winner for vegetarians, and a winner for people who like to eat. Quinoa is one of my most favorite grains. It is high in protein and cooks in less than 20 minutes. It is also a blank canvas for flavor. And like I said, who doesn’t love Southwestern flavors? So I love to mix quinoa with corn, beans, smokey cumin and fresh lime for a great dish that I can and DO eat all week long.
That was the plan. To eat this quinoa salad all week long for lunch. BUT friends popped over and I needed, okay wanted, an offering for us to snack on. So the genius I am (hey, a girl has to dream!!) decided to grab the bag of mini peppers from the fridge, slice them in half and spoon in the quinoa. That would have been enough to please my friends. But I wanted to WOW. So I took a bit of sour cream and mixed it with lime zest, lime juice, and a bit of cumin. Dolloped on these peppers took this dish to another level completely!
My friends and myself were pleased greatly. I promise you and yours won’t be disappointed!
- For the Southwestern Quinoa Salad:
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cups frozen, defrosted corn kernels
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Lime Sour Cream:
- 1 cup all natural sour cream
- zest and juice of ½ large lime
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- dash of salt
- For the peppers:
- 2 pounds mini peppers, halved
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions.
- Mix together the oil, cumin, salt, and lime juice and zest. Add in the quinoa, corn, beans, and onions and stir until combined. Allow to cool.
- Mix together the sour cream with the lime and a dash of salt.
- Fill each pepper half with 1-2 tablespoons of the quinoa salad.
- Serve with the sour cream to dollop on top.
Please note that you can half this recipe for the quinoa salad to stuff the peppers. I prefer to make the large batch and have on hand to eat as a side dish or light lunch.