This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Strawberry and Arugula Pizza: A cheese pizza is brought to life with subtle sweetness from strawberries, sharpness from arugula and a rich balsamic drizzle. It is a pizza like you have never had and will always remember!
My daughter has an obsession with strawberries. I believe if I let her, she would eat so many strawberries she would soon turn into one! She anxiously awaits strawberry picking season and begs for the largest basket to fill up for her eating delight. I have to say up until recent years, I have done my sweet girl a major disservice in allowing her to believe that strawberries are only to be enjoyed during the late spring and early summer months. Did you know that fresh strawberries are available all winter long from November to April thanks to the Florida Strawberry Growers Association? This is enough to make my daughter squeal with glee that she can eat her beloved fruit all year long.
And seriously, it gets me jazzed up too because I can make some of my favorite Strawberry dishes like Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes, Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cups and this Strawberry and Arugula Pizza.
Strawberries on a pizza may sound odd to some, but stop for a moment and think about it. It is classic to pair strawberries with feta or blue cheese in a salad. It is also classic to top a pizza with tomato slices–and tomatoes are a fruit as well. I am telling you that strawberries paired with mozzarella and feta cheese on a crispy flatbread crust is perfection.
The sweetness from the strawberries contrast perfectly with the richness of the cheese. If you stopped right there and just baked the pizza as is, you would have a masterpiece.BUT I urge you to create a show-stopper by topping the pizza with arugula and finishing with a balsamic drizzle. It will knock your socks off.
- 1 (16 ounce) large flatbread or Naan style bread (or 1 pound homemade pizza dough, rolled out and prebaked at 400 degrees for 10 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh Florida Strawberries, sliced
- 6 ounces fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- 1½ cups fresh arugula
- 2 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush the flatbread with olive oil. Spread out the slices of mozzarella evenly over the flatbread or pre-cooked dough. Spread the strawberries over the cheese and sprinkle with the feta and rosemary.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Top with arugula and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
This pizza would be nothing more than a cheese pizza without the strawberries. The strawberries truly are the star of the show and make this dish worth of a celebration–I am thinking it would be perfect for my family’s tradition of pizza on Christmas Eve! And once again, let’s thank the Strawberry Growers association for making that a reality for all of us.
The winter season sure looks a bit more appealing knowing that we all can enjoy a fresh fruit from Florida. And do you know how nutritious a strawberry actually is for you?
- Antioxidant Rich
- Rich in Vitamin C– 1 cup of strawberries provide 160% of daily vitamin C.
- Filled with flavonoid that help prevent heart disease.
- Rich in potassium which helps control blood pressure.
- Contain phytochemicals which are known to help prevent cancer and reduce inflammation.
- Not to mention perfectly sweet enough to put a smile on all our faces, even without all the reasons they keep our bodies healthy.
To really put a smile on your face, check out this fabulous Giveaway sponsored by Florida Strawberry Growers Association with a chance to win a trip to Tradewinds Resort on St. Pete’s Island!
Snap a photo of you with Florida Strawberries using the #FLStrawberryCap hastag on your social media shares.
Everyone who enters gets a Florida Strawberry Cap (limit one per household) but you can enter for grand prize as many times as you like.
Remember–they are HANDPICKING their favorite image, so get creative! You can enter from December 12 to February 5, 2017–so let us see you everytime you are using Florida Strawberries!
And for more tasty strawberry dishes that are perfect for your holiday feast, check out these great recipe:
More Delicious Strawberry Recipes from the Sunday Supper Family:
- Balsamic Strawberry Brie Bites by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Strawberry Chipotle Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Savory Strawberry Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Apple Salsa by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Hummus by The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries by Desserts Required
- Classic Eton Mess by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fresh Strawberry Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Goopy Goop – A Healthy Strawberry Sauce by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Bundt Cake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting by Family Around The Table
- Grilled Balsamic Strawberry & Chicken Kabobs by Books n’ Cooks
- Grilled Fish Topped with Strawberry Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry and Arugula Pizza by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Strawberry Balsamic Brie Grilled Cheese by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Almond Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Bread by An Appealing Plan
- Strawberry Bruschetta Side Salad by April Golightly
- Strawberry Coleslaw by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Pecan Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.