Soft and sweet, Strawberry Shortcake Breakfast Bars are a treat that tastes naughty, but is actually nice to your body. These bars are packed with whole grains, protein, fiber and antioxidants; not to mention a little dark chocolate to start your day with a smile.
Saturday breakfasts are always a special thing at our house. My kids and I are early risers and we are starving from the minute we get up. So we grab some fruit and yogurt or granola to tide us over on Saturdays while we prepare a bigger breakfast.
Our second breakfast is for when Daddy finally rolls out of bed ready to join us. I let him sleep in because I do believe sleep is his love language and I can’t sleep in to save my life! But since we like to still eat as many meals together as possible, this “second breakfast” on the weekend works for us. It is actually quite funny because the second the food hits the table, the kids scramble upstairs to wake the beast–you would think they hadn’t eaten their first breakfast. His eyes are barely even open when we all sit down together and we have given up asking him to bless the breakfast–the man can’t do more than grumble for the first hour he is awake, regardless if that is at 5 am or 9 am!
And one thing we all can agree on–we love us some chocolate. So anytime I can incorporate chocolate into breakfast, we are all happy campers. If I can incorporate chocolate into a breakfast that is healthy, I really feel like the day is off to a fabulous start.
The latest Saturday morning breakfast win for us was Strawberry Shortcake Breakfast Bars. These bars are studded with fresh strawberries and rich dark chocolate and swirled with strawberry jam, keeping them incredibly moist. They are perfect eaten just in that form alone, but when you top with additional fresh berries and a dollop of Greek yogurt–it is a breakfast that any beast would happily arise for.
I am drooling, are you?
We served these bars with the berries and Greek yogurt for our Saturday breakfast, but they made the perfect portable breakfast for our busy weekdays. And since they are made with whole wheat flour, Greek yogurt and just a touch of sugar–they are are great start to any day.
The process is simple. Get out the food processor and pulse away the ingredients. Press half the batter into a pan that has been lined with parchment paper, dollop with strawberry jam, and then top with the remaining batter. Do you see the chunks of berries, jam, and chocolate? Yep, these are gonna be good!!
We did not resist long, I sliced the bars while they were warm and signaled the kids to get their dad for breakfast. I topped the bars with fresh berries that I had sliced up and drizzled with a tad bit of maple syrup (because it was the weekend!) and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.
I am pretty sure you will too!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- ¼ cup solid Coconut oil
- ¼ cup cold Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup coconut milk, or any milk of your choice
- ¾ cup strawberry jam
- For topping:
- Additional chopped fresh strawberries (let sit with 1 tablespoon maple syrup per cup of strawberries for an extra sweet treat).
- Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, strawberries and chocolate. Add coconut oil into processor and pulse until dough comes together in size of small peas. Mix together egg, yogurt, and coconut milk and pour into food processor, pulse until the batter just comes together.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan and dollop with strawberry jam. Swirl jam into batter with a butter knife and then top with remaining batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until bars are golden and center is set.
- Cool and cut into 12 bars and serve as is, or top with additional fresh strawberries and Greek yogurt.