Superfood Super Smoothie: A delicious blend of kale, berries, and coconut water, serving you up a huge dose of antioxidants , electrolytes, and vitamin C.
Or maybe you are just looking for a healthy little treat to serve your kids after school?
Or do you just love a good smoothie recipe? That’s me! That’s me!
This simple little Super Smoothie, is not only lick-smacking good, it is also gives you a high dose of antioxidants, electrolytes, vitamins, and shh…veggies.
I know that green smoothies can scare some people–heck, at times I am afraid to try some of them and I LOVE my greens.
This one, this one is a winner.
How do I know, you ask?
I served it to several neighborhood kids after they had a lesson on nutrition at school and they all devoured it and asked for more.
That should seal the deal that this smoothie is good. Still not convinced, my husband loves it. And he HATES kale.
So the key to this smoothie is the fruit. You want to give the smoothie sweetness to tempt the pickiest of eaters, but in a healthy way. I choose to use a frozen berry blend because:
- Berries are naturally sweet
- Berries are full of powerful antioxidants
- Berries have fiber
- Berries vibrant color hides the color of the kale well
I also use Coconut Water as my base (but you can use Orange Juice or Pineapple Juice–which will add additional boosts of vitamin C.)
- Coconut Water has no added sugars
- Coconut Water has natural electrolytes–which are great after an intense workout
- Coconut Water has a very neutral taste in this smoothie
And then I seal the deal with fresh Kale, but Spinach would be great as well.
- Kale is among the most nutrient dense foods in the world
- Kale is loaded with Vitamin C and antioxidants
- Kale is high in many minerals that many people are lacking in their diet, such as magnesium
Another tip for the smoothie is to put your choice of liquid in the blender first and then add the kale and fruit–allowing the blender’s blades to be able to blend the ingredients smoothly.
And be sure to blend well–I often hit the liquefy button on my blender to really get that Kale broken down. And no, I have no fancy blender, feel free to send one my way if you so desire. I really won’t turn it down 🙂
- 1 cup coconut water (or orange/pineapple juice)
- 1 cup frozen berry mix
- 1 cup fresh kale
- Blend all the ingredients together until well combined. Add additional liquid to achieve the base you desire.
Grab a straw, slurp this up and let the super powers of the super smoothie power you through your day!
For this recipe I recommend: