Sweet Chili Lime Rice Bowl with Mango and Edamame: Sweet and spicy edamame and fresh mango are tossed with fresh spinach and cilantro lime brown rice creating a perfectly balanced meal that is guarenteed to take your lunch from ho-hum to spectacular.
Thank you to Rubbermaid for partnering with me to help sponsor this post. As always, my love and opinions are genuinely my own.
You know how most kids HATE when one food touches another food on their plate? Yeah, well, that is MY HUSBAND!! No joke, he has been known to throw a tanturm or two if his broccoli happens to touch his Creamy Chicken and Rice. It is almost comical to the rest of us to watch.
But recently, my son is following in his foot steps. He has come home from school with half his lunch untouched a few times this past month. Each and every time I see his untouched food, I cringe because I swear he must be getting sick (and not to mention I hate wasted food!!!) I mean if you knew my son, you would understand– he has a SERIOUS appetite!
He made it clear he was not sick, but that one food had leaked onto another food and he wouldn’t eat it. And I guess I get it, I wouldn’t want watermelon juice all over my crackers and hummus either.
So I set out to find a leak proof lunch container. And I found one that exceeded all my expectations in Rubbermaid’s Balance Meal Kit.
The Rubbermaid Balance Meal Kit is totally leak proof, freezer proof (great for meal-prep), microwave safe, dishwasher safe (thank goodness!) and BPA free. And as if I haven’t sold you on this great lunch kit yet, the containers are perfectly portioned for a perfectly balanced meal. Which let me tell you, as much as my husband and son don’t want cross contamination of certain foods, they really need reminded what a serving of veggies looks like in comparison to a serving of grains! And okay, I think it is safe to say, we ALL struggle with portion control once in awhile right? I mean especially when Chocolate Cake is involved.
This Sweet and Spicy Spinach Rice Salad is loved by my picky husband, my middle school boy, my little girl and ME! It starts with a base of cilantro lime rice–feel free to use quinoa or a mix of both as well. I pair it with fresh baby spinach and edamame that has a sweet and spicy glaze over it. But what really brings it to life, is the mango. A pinch of salt, a few chili flakes and fresh lime juice, takes mango to a whole new level of crazy good!
Now my kids like to eat everything individually, which the Balance Meal Kits, allows you to do perfectly. I prefer to dump each component into the base—and believe it or not, so does my husband.
This lunch is going to be the envy of EVERYONE in your lunch room.
- 2 cups brown rice (or quinoa)
- 2 cups coconut water (or regular water)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1¼ teaspoons of salt, divided
- 1⅓ cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 2 tablespoon apricot all fruit (or apricot preserves)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (tamari for gfree)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 fresh mango, diced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring coconut water to a boil. Add rice and 1 teaspoon salt and let simmer, covered, on low for 45 minutes, or according to package directions. Once rice has cooked, add zest of lime and cilantro and mix well.
- While rice is cooking, whisk together apricot preserves, soy sauce, sriracha and garlic together. Toss with edamame and roast for 20 minutes in oven (if you don't want to heat oven, just cook all together in microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Toss mango with red pepper flakes, ¼ teaspoon salt and juice of lime.
- To serve: Using Rubbermaid Balanced Meal Kit, measure out rice in grain container, mango in fruit container, edamame in protein container and spinach in vegetable container.
- Toss altogether (or leave seperate) and enjoy.
These Salads would Work Great in these lunch containers as well: