A garlic infused oil based pizza topped with roasted asparagus and broccoli and finished with sharp Parmesan and salty Feta Cheese–you will see vegetables in a whole new light.
You may be thinking that ANY trip to the grocery store is an adventure with kids, and not always a GOOD adventure 🙂
However, on this trip, we were just stopping in to a small store filled with fresh produce for the kids to pick out a new vegetable to try.
As we were scanning the produce, they spotted a sale on asparagus–fresh, tender, baby asparagus. And thy begged for them. DONE. Even though this was nothing new, I was drooling over them myself. Then we spotted fresh broccoli and my son said, We should roast the broccoli with asparagus. Sounded good to me.
But then my little girl spoke up, Let’s make a pizza with them! This was nothing new for her to state, as her dream is to open up a pizza shop with me. So she thinks EVERYTHING can be turned into pizza.
At first I hesitated, but then I thought about some delicious veggie flat breads I have had through the years and realized she was on to something.
Onto something delicious.
I am telling you, there is something about bread brushed with olive oil, fresh garlic and herbs all on it’s own. But topping with nutty roasted asparagus and broccoli and finishing with salty feta and sharp Parmesan cheese–well, it is a a whole new way to get your love on for your veggies!
Plus it is the perfect way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day–being green and all. And then, this corky little mom made each kiddo a shamrock green pizza–cause that is how I roll!
So whether you make this into a circle, a square, a shamrock or a heart-you MUST try roasted asparagus and broccoli on your next pizza. It is the perfect way to get kids (and adults) to eat more veggies!
Oh and the NEW vegetable the kids picked out–purple carrots. They were a winner.
- 1 pound whole wheat pizza dough
- ¼ cup olive oil (divided)
- 3-4 cloves of freshly minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ pound fresh tender asparagus, chopped into 2 inch chunks
- ½ head fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 500.
- Toss asparagus and broccoli with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Place in oven for 10 minutes, while preparing the dough.
- Roll out the pizza dough to ¼ inch thickness. Brush with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle over garlic, oregano, and remaining salt.
- Top with pre-roasted veggies and then sprinkle with cheeses.
- Return to oven for 10 minutes until crust is browned and cheeses are melted.
What is your favorite way to eat your vegetables? I would love to know!