Tomato and Spinach Tortellini Broth Bowl: Fresh tomatoes, spinach, and cheese tortellini are swimming in a light broth flavored with garlic and thyme, topped with a crunchy mixture of toasted bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
I love my birthday. Not because I am another year older. Not because of gifts, but because my Mom will always make me ANYTHING I want on the day. And typically, my husband has a week long conference close to my parent’s house around my birthday. So while he golfs and entertains, I am chilling with my parents and for one day I get to call the shots=–well, at least when it comes to the food!
Several years ago, I decided I wanted a warm tortellini and spinach salad. It was a simple dish–cheese tortellini, spinach, and tomatoes served up with a scoop of garlic infused broth. It was hearty, yet light. And this flavorful simple dish became one of my ultimate favorites.
Since I am a trendy gal (okay NOT so much) and because “broth bowls” are all the rage these days, it was high time I shared this hidden gem with you. Spinach and Tomato Tortellini Broth Bowls will be a new favorite lunch or light dinner at your house! And just in case you are serving picky kids–give them the cheese tortellini plain, but enjoy yours dressed up a bit.
This dish sings with flavor from a rich and light broth created with dry wine, chicken stock, and garlic. Grape tomatoes and spinach add freshness to this dish and the cheese tortellini provides heartiness and creamy luxury. And do not leave off the bread crumb topping–it adds just the right amount of crunch this dish calls for.
- 1 16 ounce package fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 5 ounce package fresh spinach
- 1 pint (8 ounces) heirloom grape tomatoes, sliced in quarters
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cupschicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine (or additional chicken stock)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Prepare the tortellini according to package directions.
- While tortellini is cooking, bring the chicken stock, wine, 1 spring of thyme and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in juice of fresh lemon juice at end of cooking.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and remaining sprig of thyme--leaves chopped up. Toast until crumbs are golden brown, bout 2-3 minutes.
- To serve: Evenly divide spinach and tomatoes and tortellini between 4 bowls. Ladle broth over each bowl. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture of each bowl and finish with freshly grated Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Now grab a spoon and dig in!