Think vegan is boring? Think again! Bulgur is cooked with Mexican spices and then rolled into fresh corn tortillas, smothered in fresh salsa verde. Top in any way you desire to add even more flavor to this dish. Even though I appreciate just about any cuisine, from vegan to gluten-free to Paleo, I personally eat anything that is “real” food. I love some cheese and meat every now and then. However, in an effort to keep our family healthy and money in our bank account, we have several meatless meals throughout our week. And I have to say everyone in our family enjoys most of these meals–including the Midwestern meat and potato guy I am married to.
One thing about meatless meals, is that I can typically pull the meals together quickly and from staples in my pantry– no need to thaw out meat or plan ahead. This summer I have been trying to clean out my pantry as we would be getting ready to move at some point and we needed to get through some of the staples I had. As I took inventory of what needed to be used, I found a box of bulgur wheat. I typically keep this on hand for meatless meals to add to meat to bulk it up (it is great in sloppy joes), in a fresh grain salad, or as a creamy breakfast cereal. I also had fresh corn tortillas in my fridge and found 1 can of tomatilloes in water and a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. I knew I could do something with those simple ingredients and a few other staples I had around.
I steamed the bulgur in chicken stock that I seasoned with cumin, chili powder, garlic and onion powder. While the bulgur steamed I blended the tomatilloes with some cilantro from my herb garden, minced garlic that I had in the fridge, and fresh lime juice (that was a bonus find in my fridge!!) I had the fillings for burritos and salsa verde pulled together in no time!
Once I rolled the cooked bulgur in charred corn tortillas, I lined them up in a casserole dish that I poured the salsa verde over and baked until warmed through.
I am telling you that these would be great with some Queso Fresco as well. But that was NOT in my fridge and would make this dish NOT vegan. Topped with fresh tomatoes and a squeeze of lime–I was happy. Truth be told, if I had avocados I would have been ecstatic!!
So whether you need to do a pantry raid to avoid take-out for dinner, want to save some money, or just enjoy a healthy meatless meal, these burritos are for you!
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 can (15oz) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder,
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 (20oz) can tomatillos, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- ½ tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 lime
- 12 small corn tortillas
- Toppings as desired (tomatoes, avocados, onion, lettuce, cheese, Greek yogurt, etc)
- Bring one cup chicken stock to boil along with the spices. Stir the into the boiling liquid, cover, and let sit for 30 minutes. Then add the can of tomatoes into the cooked bulgur.
- In the meantime, heat the corn tortillas and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add ¼ cup cooked bulgur mixture to each tortilla and place into a 8x8 baking dish or 2 quart baking dish.
- Blend the tomatillos, a dash of salt, cilantro, garlic, juice of the lime, and ¼ cup of the remaining chicken stock together. Pour over the burritos.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until bubbly.
- Top as desired and enjoy!