Whole Wheat Berry Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze: A tender, whole wheat cake that is naturally sweetened with a secret ingredient and given a bright taste with the addition of a sweet lemon glaze. This is the perfect healthy addition to any brunch! #SundaySupper
When I think of Spring, I think of bridal showers, Mother’s Day, and brunch. I guess it is because I have been a part of many summer weddings over the years and the one thing that these weddings had in common was a Wedding Shower Brunch in the spring. And of course Mother’s Day has totally maximized the brunch market.
So when Sunday Supper announced the theme of Welcoming in Spring, immediately my mind went to the many springtime brunches that I have been a part of.
And truly, what is not to love about a brunch? Delicate foods that are both savory and sweet. A relaxing environment that lends itself well to sipping on mimosas or coffee. My ideal brunch would take place in a garden that was bursting with spring blooms on a sunny morning with a warm breeze in the air. That is the perfect world.
But no matter what the weather is or what your garden looks like, you can still enjoy delicious brunch food. (And in my reality, I have to avoid the pollen from the beautiful flowers!)
Today I am sharing with you a spin off of one of my family’s favorite muffins, Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins. I took the base of my muffins and tweaked it just a bit to add a fresh spring flair and turned it into a “cake” instead of a muffin.
The best part about this Berry Coffee Cake is that it is 100% guilt free. Minus the lemon glaze, there is no added sugar, it is 100% whole grain and dairy free!! It is a cake that will be loved by all and yet no one will be worried about fitting into their summer swimsuits after eating a slice or two.
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups 100% whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup canola oil or coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup 100% grape juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, washed, dried, and diced into ¼ inch chunks
- 1 zest of 1 lemon
- 1 glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 juice from the fresh lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch cake pan or springform pan well.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Toss dry ingredients with berries and lemon zest (this keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.)
- Mix together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and juice until well incorporated. Stir into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on baking rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, make the glaze by sifting powdered sugar into a bowl and adding the lemon juice to it. Stir until a thin glaze is reached (you may need to add a dash of water or a bit more powdered sugar depending on how juicy your lemon is).
- Pour the glaze over the cake.
Looking for more fabulous recipes to welcome in Spring? Check out this incredible round-up from the Sunday Supper Family. I am in the mood for asparagus, peas, and strawberries after checking these out!
- Chicken Sausage, Apple and Cheddar Breakfast Bake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Chive and Cheese Quiche by An Appealing Plan
- Lavender Scones by Feeding Big and More
- Raspberry Lemon Baked Donuts by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Matcha Donuts by The Ninja Baker
- Whole Wheat Lemon Berry Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze by A Mindful Mom
- Artichoke Lemon Hummus by Food Done Light
- Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart by Baking Sense
- Butter Lettuce and Spring Radish Salad by Hardly A Goddess
- Ceviche with Potato and Pea Shoot Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Strawberry Popsicles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Rustic Wrapped Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- An Unconventional Mojito by Monica’s Table
- Caribbean Cream Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cucumber Grapefruit Basil Mojito by The Crumby Cupcake
- Limoncello Raspberry Sangria by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Spiced Rhubarb Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D Books and Cooks
- Vanilla Lavender Limeade by The Tip Toe Fairy
- Very Berry Springtime Spritzer by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Violet Hour by Wholistic Woman
- Cheese Tortellini with Herbed Ricotta and Fava Beans by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gnocchi Primavera with Spring Asparagus and Peas by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Levantine Fattoush Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- One Pan Spicy Lemon Chicken with Tomatoes by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orecchiette with Peas, Pecorino and Onions by Cooking Chat
- Pasta with Peas by Manu’s Menu
- Pesto Shrimp and Zoodles Oh My! by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Ramp and Mushroom Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Spring Lamb Skewers with Roasted Baby Carrots by Food Lust People Love
- Spring Salad with Scallops and Strawberry Vinaigrette by My World Simplified
- Veggie Pasta Primavera by Momma’s Meals
- Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Rhubarb Salad by The Texan New Yorker
- Green Peas with Onion and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- Minty Pea Farro Spring Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Quinoa Pilaf by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Amazing Coconut Cake by A Baking Legacy
- Berry and Honey Whipped Ricotta by Family Foodie
- Caramelized Black Figs and Walnuts with Mascarpone by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Carrot Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Colorado Crème by Cooking on the Ranch
- Honey Blossoms by Get the Good Stuff!
- Hot Milk Sponge Cake by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Lemon Scented Choux with Rhubarb Ginger Pastry Cream by The Finer Cookie
- Meyer Lemon Bars by The Chef Next Door
- No-Bake Berry Greek Yogurt Pie by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Rhubarb Meringue Pie by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spring Cookie Bouquet by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Cheesecake Puffs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream by Tramplingrose
- Strawberry Moscato Sorbet by Seduction in the Kitchen
- The Black Beast by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Plus Spring Vegetable Minestrone and more Spring Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement