These are the BEST Blueberry Muffins EVER!!! Made with whole wheat flour, these tender Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins are naturally sweetened, dairy free, and prepared with a secret ingredient that amps up the blueberry flavor.
If I had to choose one muffin to eat for the rest of my life, I would more than likely select blueberry muffins.
But not just any blueberry muffin. It would have to be my recipe for Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins, as they are the most tender, flavorful blueberry muffin I have ever had.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
Years ago, I accidentally stumbled upon the perfect combination for the best blueberry muffin ever.
When I went to make some blueberry muffins for my kids, I realized I was completely out of milk and buttermilk. Out of desperation (and no desire to hit the store), I used grape juice in place of the dairy.
The grape juice sweetens the muffins perfectly, while also keeping these whole wheat muffins tender and full of flavor.
My blueberry muffin recipe is proof for any doubters in the crowd that whole wheat muffins can be as decadent as any gourmet bakery muffin out there!
How to Make Blueberry Muffins
- Prepare muffin tin by lining with muffin liners or greasing well.
- Mix together dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Add blueberries to dry ingredients and toss to coat blueberries in flour mixture.
- This helps the blueberries to not sink to the bottom of the muffins.
- In separate small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, juice, and melted coconut oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until JUST combined.
- Do not over mix, or your muffins may become dense and tough.
- Pour 1/4 cup blueberry muffin batter into each muffin liner.
- Bake until muffins are just set.
- Remove from oven and let cool in muffin tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove from muffin tin and allow to cool completely.
How to Store Blueberry Muffins
- Allow muffins to cool completely before placing in air tight container or bag.
- When baking with whole grain products, it is best to refrigerate or freeze whole wheat muffins, if not consuming within 2 days.
- To freeze blueberry muffins:
- Place cooled muffins on a cookie sheet and freeze for 30-60 minutes until solid (this process helps muffins not stick together when placed in container in freezer.)
- Then place in freezer safe bag and pull one muffin out at time.
- Defrost in fridge overnight, or warm in microwave for 1-2 minutes to heat before serving.
Substitutions for Blueberry Muffins
- You can use fresh or frozen blueberries. The frozen berries do not have to be defrosted, but note that they will bleed into the batter more, creating a “blue” tinge to the muffins.
- My favorite juice to use in these muffins is 100% grape juice. I use purple grape juice, but white grape juice or a grape blend will work as long as it is 100% fruit juice.
- Whole white wheat, ivory wheat, and whole wheat flour all work perfectly for these blueberry muffins. Even all purpose flour will work in this recipe.
- Be sure to just combine wet and dry ingredients until combined in your muffin batter. Over mixing the muffins, will cause for tough muffins.
- To make Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins: use an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend in place of whole wheat flour.
- To make Egg Free Blueberry Muffins: replace egg with 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water.
- Feel free to use canola oil in place of coconut oil. I prefer the taste of coconut oil to canola oil in baked muffins, but either oil will work.
- To make Vegan Blueberry Muffins: use maple syrup in place of honey and a flax egg in place of the egg.
- , they are worthy of some high praises as well.
More Whole Wheat Muffin Recipes
- Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- Paleo Blueberry Muffins from Texanerin
- Whole Wheat Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Skinny Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Healthy Blueberry Muffin Recipe
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries washed and dried
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 cup 100% grape juice
- 12 muffin liners
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners or grease well.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together. Take about 1 tablespoon of the dry ingredients and toss with the blueberries and set the berries aside.
- Add the blueberries and toss to coat with flour.
- Mix together the eggs, honey, vanilla, oil, and juice. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients and combine. Do not overmix.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the batter into the prepared muffin tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until batter is set.
To Make Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins you may need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.