Today my friend is sharing with you easy ways to keep your family fed simply and still enjoy all the fun the summer months have to offer.
Hi friends! I’m Sarah from Early Bird Mom where I share organizing and practical homemaking tips. Kristen has graciously invited me to hang out with you today.
Does summertime leave you just a little busier than usual?
My family has been looking forward to summer since, oh, about February, but now that it’s here, it’s packed full of activities, road trips, fresh air, and campfires. Oh, and there’s still work for this work-from-home mom to do, but much less time to do it in.
And everyone still wants to eat!
Yep – the kitchen doesn’t get to close down just because the pool is beckoning. And if you’re into healthy food, you’re not just going to open package after package to keep everyone fed.
When in doubt, simplify.
Happily, that’s so easy to do with all the fresh flavors of summer. I rely on fresh produce from ALDI (and some from our small first year garden) to make our meals easy and delicious without spending hours in the kitchen.
3 ways to help keep summer meals easy:
1. A basic formula for healthy dinners = protein + starch + veggie.
If I’ve covered those 3 things, I know the meal will be satisfying and well-rounded. Sometimes we leave out the starch for an even simpler meal.
What this looks like:
- roast chicken, sauteed green beans, rice
- turkey burgers, roasted root veggies and potato wedges
- meatloaf, homemade tomato soup and easy homemade bread
See? Simple. These dishes don’t even need recipes! Fresh, simple flavors taste better to me anyway.
2. Give your meal a twist
Once you’ve decided what you’re serving, it’s time to spice it up a bit – literally, not figuratively – you’ll have to do the literal spicing yourself 🙂
When you take a simple meal and give it a twist, it takes on a whole new experience. Some ideas:
- Turn of the lights and add candles. A candlelight dinner is something special for my kids! Who knew?
- Change location – take the food onto the front porch. When the kids are done, they can go run and play while the adults sit on the porch and enjoy the evening.
- Have a real picnic – make simple sandwiches, grab a watermelon and a big carving knife and head to the park for a dinner picnic. You’ll avoid the heat of the day and all the crumbs stay outside. Super easy and you’ll create summer memories just like that.
3. Let in season produce shine as simple desserts.
No need to heat up the kitchen and make all kinds of time-consuming treats. Instead, serve fresh berries with homemade yogurt and a drizzle of honey. Caramelize peach halves with a sprinkle of brown sugar. Whip up the creamiest strawberry smoothie!
Now is the time to indulge in all that fresh, delicious produce that’s available at the best prices of the year. If you serve these things for dessert, your kids will appreciate nature’s fresh flavors and be nourished at the same time.
Keep your summer food simple, healthy, and delicious with these quick tips.