Are you a morning person?
Me, well, let’s just say I have been forced to become one. But even though I am used to rising by 5:30 AM each day, I am still not at my sharpest in the morning.
One thing that is crucial to my morning is a good breakfast. If I skip breakfast or do not eat a well-rounded meal, TROUBLE. I am grouchy, my blood sugar fluctuates, I crave junk food, and it seems my whole day falls apart.
We have all been told breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But sadly, most Americans do skip breakfast or grab something from a greasy drive-thru or a packaged bar full of sugar. And we wonder why we run into so many people who seem a bit moody? You do NOT want to come into my path if my blood sugar is dropping. Moody is an understatement.
- Protein Protein is what keeps you full and staves off hunger all morning long. It also helps your brain to function better, believe it or not.
- Whole Grains Whole grains are a great source of fiber. Fiber keeps your digestive system working properly and keeps you full as well. Whole grains also help to balance blood sugar.
- Healthy Fats Yet another crucial ingredient to keeping you full. Healthy fats, from avocados, nuts, olive oil, etc, also help the condition of your skin and hair and your brain functioning at optimal levels–needed for those business meetings or school tests!
- Fruits/Veggies Don’t forget to include AT LEAST one serving of fruits and vegetables in your breakfast–otherwise, you will find it hard to get your optimal daily intake. Not to mention the all the array of nutrients and vitamins fruits and veggies provide. This can
- Prep the Night Before Without packing lunches, putting clothes out, packing book bags, and planning what we are going to eat for breakfast in the evening, my next morning quickly turns from not my favorite part of the day, to the WORST part of the day! It only takes a few minutes and ensures that your morning will go 1,000 times better than if you opted out of prepping.
So how do I make this happen?
Oatmeal is my go to! I love oatmeal every which way I can get it. It is full of fiber and whole grains to keep me satisfied and my blood sugar stable for hours. And the options are ENDLESS–I can add in nuts for healthy fats, bananas or apples fruit, and milk or yogurt for added protein and calcium.
My favorite oatmeals are:
However, some mornings I can do little more than turn the coffee pot on–these are the days that I had a restless night sleep or we overslept. Of course those seem to be the days that I forgot to prep for breakfast. Thankfully, I have found a new product that makes those mornings nothing to sweat. Nature Valley Bistro Oatmeal Cups.
Seriously with a hit of a button on my brewing machine, I have a delicious, hearty, filling and HEALTHY breakfast made with real foods with ZERO effort. Talk about a win for a parent who is walking around like a zombie– Where were these when I had newborns?!
And these Oatmeal Cups kept me eating healthy while my family stayed at a hotel for several weeks in between houses. That was my biggest fear–how was I going to eat healthy with a very limited kitchen? And for me eating healthy is a matter of life and death and can quickly get ugly if I don’t take it seriously (yeah, Cystic Fibrosis is not always fun!)
I would pop these bistro cups into the brewing machine for my late night snack at the hotel a few times–it was just the comfort I needed to help me sleep well in a strange bed.
Do Nature Valley Bistro Cups meet the 5 Criteria: *Based on The Apple Cinnamon Almond Variety.
- Protein: 8 grams
- Whole Grains: Made with whole grain oats, barley, and rye. (One Nature Valley Bistro Cup provides 100% of your daily whole grains.)
- Healthy Fats: Nuts and flax seed
- Fruits/Veggies: Fried apples and cranberries. (Although I always grab some fresh fruit as well.)
- Prep the Night Before: No prep needed! Just make sure your Brew Machine has water in it and is turned on!
How is that for easy?!
And they make the perfect grab and go breakfast for those really busy mornings. (I actually send them to work with my husband–he brews them when he gets to his office for breakfast–he likes to sleep in as late as possible, so these are the perfect solution for his breakfast.)Can’t wait to hear how much you enjoyed making your mornings easier with Nature Valley Bistro Cups, while still maintaining your healthy lifestyle.