Apple Upside Down Pumpkin Cake: Can’t decide between pumpkin or apple for your next dessert? Have them both! Caramel Apples top a moist pumpkin cake–creating a perfect marriage of flavors.
There is always a great debate at my house at Thanksgiving.
Do we have pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, apple pie, or apple crisp? I know you are thinking that we should make them ALL–and while I would normally agree with that, when your Thanksgiving dinner ends up only being a party of 6, that is a bit excessive.
So when you are faced with a smaller gathering, or just craving a fall dessert, it is best to combine all the flavors and make an Apple Pumpkin Cake.
Apple Pumpkin Cake
This was like a Pineapple Upside Down Cake meets fall. Perfectly caramelized apples are baked with a maple pumpkin cake made. It is out of this world!!
The apples are sauteed in a caramel sauce made with Maple Syrup and butter and become tender and sweet and have a rich maple flavor. But the pumpkin cake, you guys, it is so moist it almost takes on the consistency of a pumpkin pie filling. It is a bit of magic!! It is the farthest thing from a dry cake that you have EVER seen!
How to Make Apple Upside Down Cake
Step One: Prepare Cake Pan
- Line the bottom of a 9 inch spring-form pan with foil.
- Secure the sides in place.
- Grease sides and bottom with butter.
Step Two: Saute Apples
- Take a just a bit of butter and melt it down in a nonstick skillet with Maple Syrup.
- After the butter and maple syrup begin to bubble, add in 3 small peeled and sliced Gala apples.
- Cover and let the apples cook and release their juices for 5 minutes.
- Once apples are cooked, transfer prepared pan.
Step Three: Make Pumpkin Cake
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in large bowl.
- Mix together the wet ingredients in smaller bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined.
- Pour pumpkin cake batter over the apples.
Step Four: Bake Apple Pumpkin Cake
- Bake cake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly.
Step Five: Invert Cake to Serve
- With a butter knife, run it along the sides of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Remove the sides.
- Place a serving plate on top of the pumpkin cake and then invert.
- Remove the base of the pan and the foil.
- At this point, add a little sprinkle of powdered sugar, if desired.
More Fall Recipes
Pumpkin Apple Cake Recipe
Apple Upside Down Pumpkin Cake
Caramelized apples are the base of this delicious pumpkin cake.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup divided
- 2 cups Gala apples peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup 100% Canned Pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons Confectioner's Sugar optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place foil over the base of a 9 inch springform pan and then place sides on pan. Grease well.
In a non-stick skillet, melt the butter and 1/4 cup maple syrup over medium heat. Once the mixture is melted, add the sliced apples and stir to coat. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
Place apples on bottom of springform pan.
Mix together the flour, baking soda, and spices in a large bowl. In seperate bowl, whisk together the oil, remaining 1/2 cup maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and pumpkin. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Pour pumpkin batter over apples and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not OVERBAKE!
Remove pan to a cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes. With a butter knife, loosen cake from side of pan. Remove side of springform pan. Invert cake onto a serving platter. Remove base and foil from cake. Allow to cool completely and then dust with powdered sugar.