Sharp cheese pairs perfectly with tangy shredded BBQ chicken and sweet pineapple, taking the childhood classic grilled cheese, to a whole new level.
I am learning so much as a blogger. Like that April is National Grilled Cheese Month. I guess because what goes better with April showers than a good old grilled cheese sandwich?
And to get in on the fun, I decided to create my own take on a grilled cheese–especially because where I am at, this month seems to be nothing but SHOWERS!!! I am so ready for the sun to shine!!
Back to the grilled cheese.
This was a sandwich of leftovers. Leftover shredded chicken, to be exact. I thought to myself that I would make a barbecue chicken pizza with the chicken, but then I decided if it was good as a pizza, it would certainly be good as a grilled cheese sandwich, right?! Plus it was raining and I love to grill my BBQ pizzas–and I didn’t want to get wet.
I took the premise of a BBQ pizza and decided that diced pineapple would go perfectly with the tangy barbecue and sharp cheese. I was SO right, just sayin! And toasted that all up with on some hearty whole grain bread.
Oh, if this little sandwich came as the result of April showers, I am good with rain (now and then!)
So come on, join the party–Celebrate National Grilled Cheese month, or a spring (or fall) shower and make this sandwich. Your taste buds will thank you.
You can also use BBQ pork for this sandwich, I just happened to have chicken on hand.
BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese with PineapplePrint Pin Rate
- 8 slices of whole grain bread
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup leftover shredded chicken
- 2-4 tablespoons your favorite BBQ sauce
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar or colby cheese sliced or shredded
- 1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple drained very well
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Mix together BBQ sauce and chicken until just combined and meat is slightly moistened but not wet, or sandwich will be soggy.
- Butter each slice of bread.
- Place 4 slices of bread, butter side down, onto the skillet. Evenly distribute the meat, top with the pineapple, and then the cheese. Place remaining slice of bread, butter side up, on each sandwich.
- Cook on first side 5-7 minutes, or until bread is golden brown. Flip each sandwich and press then down firmly with spatula. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes until other side of bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
What is your favorite way to eat grilled cheese?