Sweet berries, banana, and spinach are blended together with Greek yogurt for a healthy and easy Smoothie Bowl. But it is the toppings on this Smoothie Bowl, that make it stand out from the crowd! Topped with toasted nuts, chia seeds, fresh berries and dried Goji berries, and toasted quinoa. This is one nutrient packed smoothie bowl!
I am all about smoothies. I have at least one variety a day, as they are a great way for me to pack healthy calories and nutrient dense foods into my diet.
And I have yet to grow sick of them, because there are ENDLESS varieties. But lately, a new trend has caught my eye: Smoothie Bowls.
At first I was not so sure I would like to trade in my straw for a spoon, when it came to smoothies.
But when a smoothie bowl is topped with a variety of fresh fruit, nuts, and textures, a smoothie bowl becomes irresistible. Think of a smoothie bowl sort of like yogurt topped with granola. And who doesn’t love some crunch in their yogurt?!
Ingredients for Smoothie Bowl
- Fresh or Frozen Fruit
- Berries and bananas are my favorite choices for smoothie bowls.
- Greek yogurt
- For protein and creaminess.
- Spinach or Kale
- For a bit of greens sneaked into the mix.
- Juice or Water
- To blend the smoothie bowl up to a perfect consistency.
How to Make a Smoothie Bowl
- Blend together frozen berries, an over-ripe banana, Greek yogurt, some spinach and a splash of juice or water.
- Once blended, pour smoothie into a shallow bowl.
- Top as desired.
Toppings For Smoothie Bowls
You can top your smoothie bowl any way that your heart see fits.
- Fresh berries
- Chopped Nuts
- Dried Goji berries
- Chia seeds
- Homemade Granola
- Toasted Quinoa
- Toast dry quinoa in dry skillet until toasted and browned.
Benefits of Smoothie Bowls
- Antioxidants–hello berries of all kind!
- Protein–from the quinoa and Greek yogurt
- Fiber–the fruit, chia seeds, and quinoa are loaded with fiber
- Healthy Fats–from the pecans and chia seeds
- Calcium–the spinach and yogurt
- Taste–from it all 🙂
Substitutions for Smoothie Bowls
- Feel free to use non-dairy yogurt of omit yogurt altogether for a Vegan/Dairy Free Smoothie Bowl.
- Feel free to use any variety of berries your like for the smoothie bowl.
- Adding greens is optional, I just find it a great way to sneak in some veggies.
- Toppings are crucial for a smoothie bowl, use your imagination, just be sure to add some crunch for textural differences.
Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Berry Smoothie Bowl
For the Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup water or juice
- 1 cup spinach
For the Toppings
- 4 tablespoons dried Goji berries
- 4 tablespoons toasted quinoa
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 8 strawberries sliced
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons granola
- For the Smoothie Bowls: Blend berries, banana, yogurt, spinach and water together until smooth.
- Divide between 4 bowls and top as desired.