Watermelon Arugula Salad: Peppery tender arugula is tossed with sweet watermelon, juicy blueberries, salty feta cheese, and finished with a balsamic glaze for one flavorful, festive salad.
You all know I LOVE to play with my food and make things festive. From Santa Pancakes, to Bunny Scones, to Shamrock Fruit Pizza–I always am sure each meal and snack coordinates with the holiday. My husband and middle schooler may roll their eyes, but I know they secretly like it.
For the 4th of July, I like to make not only festive dishes, but also ones that are just summer classics. My menu typically includes, Instant Pot Baked Beans, Bacon Ranch Potato Salad, Blueberry Pie Bars, burgers and hot dogs and this easy Red, White and Blue Arugula Salad.
Watermelon Arugula Salad
This arugula salad packs as much flavor as a red, white and blue firework display. Salty, sweet, tangy, and sharp all in one bite. Plus it comes together in about 5 minutes. Faster than a small town firework display 😉
Seriously, the fruit pairs cuts through the peppery arugula and the feta adds enough salty flavor to make your taste buds sing. Finished with a thick balsamic drizzle for a final rich note. Seriously perfection. And of course with the red from the watermelon, blue from the blueberries and white from the feta–it fits perfectly into my themed 4th of July menu.
How to Make a Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
Balsamic vinegar is a staple in my house. And when reduced to a thick sauce, balsamic vinegar becomes rich and velvety. I love to use over vine-ripened tomatoes or this arugula salad recipe.
A balsamic reduction is as easy as gently boiling balsamic vinegar until it reduces by half. I like to do this with anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup balsamic vinegar and then gently heat, stirring occasionally until sauce has reduced. You want to watch carefully and heat the vinegar over a low heat so it will not burn.
Notes on Watermelon Feta Arugula Salad
- This arugula salad is best served day that it is made, as the watermelon will start to water down the salad if left assembled for too long. Another option is to assemble all the ingredients in advance and toss together right before serving.
- This watermelon arugula salad is naturally gluten-free and of course vegetarian friendly. You may choose to keep the feta to the side if you happen to be serving anyone who is vegan or dairy-free.
- This watermelon feta arugula salad is great dressed with just a squeeze of lemon juice, drizzle of extra virgin olive oil in place of the balsamic vinegar as well.
Watermelon Arugula Salad Recipe
Watermelon Arugula Salad
An arugula salad made with watermelon, blueberries, and feta cheese.
- 6 ounces baby arugula washed and dried
- 1 pint blueberries washed and dried
- 2 cups diced watermelon seeded
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup thick balsamic vinegar
Toss arugula, blueberries, watermelon and feta together. Drizzle with balsamic right before serving.
Alternatively, you can reduce 1/2 cup traditional balsamic vinegar over medium heat until reduced to half.
This arugula salad is best served day that it is made, as the watermelon will start to water down the salad if left assembled for too long. Another option is to assemble all the ingredients in advance and toss together right before serving.
More Festive 4th of July Recipes
- Berry Cheesecake Flag Dessert by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- 4th of July Toast by Taste and Tell
- 4th of July Fireworks Roll Cake by Big Bear’s Wife