Watermelon Arugula Salad is a simple, flavorful festive red, white and blue salad made with peppery tender arugula, sweet watermelon, juicy blueberries, salty feta cheese, and finished with a balsamic glaze.
For the 4th of July, I like to make not only festive dishes but also ones that are just summer classics. My menu typically includes Burgers, Instant Pot Baked Beans, Bacon Ranch Potato Salad, Blueberry Pie Bars, and this easy Red, White, and Blue Arugula Salad.
This arugula salad packs as much flavor as a red, white, and blue firework display. Salty, sweet, tangy, and sharp all in one bite. Plus it comes together in about 5 minutes, which happens to be faster than a small town firework display!
The fruit cuts through the peppery arugula and the feta adds just enough salty flavor to make your taste buds sing. Finished with a thick balsamic drizzle for a final rich note. Seriously perfection.
To Prepare Salad
- Top arugula with cubed watermelon, fresh blueberries, and feta cheese.
- Serve with a balsamic reduction OR just a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil in place of the balsamic vinegar.
- This arugula salad is best served the day that it is made, as the watermelon will start to water down the salad if left assembled for too long. Another option is to assemble all the ingredients in advance and toss together right before serving.
How to Make a Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
Balsamic vinegar is a staple in my house. And when reduced to a thick sauce, balsamic vinegar becomes rich and velvety. I love to use over vine-ripened tomatoes or this arugula salad recipe.
A balsamic reduction is as easy as gently boiling balsamic vinegar until it reduces by half. I like to do this with anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup balsamic vinegar and then gently heat, stirring occasionally until the sauce has reduced. You want to watch carefully and heat the vinegar over a low heat so it will not burn.
More Summer Recipes
Whether enjoyed as part of a Patriotic celebration or just as a simple summer salad, this Arugula Salad is sure to be enjoyed.
Watermelon Arugula Salad
- 6 ounces baby arugula washed and dried
- 1 pint blueberries washed and dried
- 2 cups diced watermelon seeded
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup thick balsamic vinegar
- Toss arugula, blueberries, watermelon and feta together. Drizzle with balsamic right before serving.
- Alternatively, you can reduce 1/2 cup traditional balsamic vinegar over medium heat until reduced to half.
More Festive 4th of July Recipes
- Berry Cheesecake Flag Dessert by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- 4th of July Toast by Taste and Tell
- 4th of July Fireworks Roll Cake by Big Bear’s Wife